how to pull up a page from my cache that doesnt exist online anymore?

Thread: how to pull up a page from my cache that doesnt exist online anymore?

how to pull up a page from my cache that doesnt exist online anymore?

I was viewing a post on reddit on Wed that doesn't exist anymore. That's unfortunate as it had some good information in there. It doesn't exist on google cache yet (how often does something get cached on google?) so that's not happening. But I wonder if it would exist on my computer's cache? If so how do I view it?

I went here:
    C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
    but I saw 300 entries for Wed, and there's no way of knowing which one of them would be the one I'm looking for. Plus I didn't know how to open the files. A typical file name would be 'f_016b02'

Can anyone advise?

Is your system set to show the file extensions? If not, set it to show them. If you are just looking for the text, you can try opening files in Notepad. Check the file dates to see if they might be possible candidates to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Is your system set to show the file extensions? If not, set it to show them. If you are just looking for the text, you can try opening files in Notepad. Check the file dates to see if they might be possible candidates to check out.
    no its not set to do that. i'm googling how to do that right now. once that's done, what's the next step? i'd rather not go through 300 files. is there some way to filter reddit only files?

PS I'm having trouble figuring out how to to show file extensions. I'm on Win 7 and I went to Tools - Folder Options - View. Over there the box 'Hide extensions for known file types' is already unchecked. So not sure where to go next?

If you have unchecked the "Hide" option, then the file extensions (like .html, etc.) should be showing.

The first thing I would do is COPY the suspect files to a more permanent folder location. You can look at the date created on them to see which are more likely to be the ones you are looking for. The only other thing you could try is to use a search tool that looks for text inside of files to search for something that you remember being in the files you are looking for. The only problem with this is that you will need a search tool that looks in ALL file types. Most are set up to search inside of only files known to contain text., and some of yours do not appear to have file extensions, so they might be skipped.

There is no way I can think of way to figure out which randomly named file might have come from reddit. You could try examining each file's properties, but that might or might not show anything useful.

This situation illustrates why, when I find something worth saving on the internet, I save it now, since there is no guarantee it will be there 5 minutes from now.

Also worth trying is to try other search engines like yahoo or bing. Each one has different criteria and time frames for storing web site caches. I find yahoo's are often a week or more older than google's.

Also the wayback machine is worth a try but it's much better for old sites not so much for recent things.
    http://archive.org/web/web.php

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

you can use wayback machine and download the files

Thread Information