Recommendation for Video Card

Thread: Recommendation for Video Card

Recommendation for Video Card

Hello,
    I was looking for a recommendation for adding a video card for 3D CAD rendering. It doesn't have to be top of the line. Right now we're just using the built in video card. The computer is an HP P537C. It has been upgraded with a SSD but other then that it is stock. I know I will need to upgrade the 250w PSU. What level of video card should I be looking for? I just want the rendering to be smooth when showing designs to customers. It is for a building contractor.
    Here is some basic info on the computer.
    Thanks for any advice.

Bundle information
    The p6537c-b desktop PC bundle (part number WW602AA) includes:
    p6537c Desktop PC, part number WW601AA
    2310m 58.42 cm (23-inch) HD LCD monitor with integrated speakers
    Hardware
    Base processor
    Phenom II X4-830 (D) 2.8 GHz (95W)
    5200 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
    Socket AM3
    Chipset
    AMD 760G
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Foxconn
    Motherboard Name: H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Alpinia-GL8
    Power supply
    250W
    Memory
    Component
    Attributes
    Memory Installed
    6 GB
    Maximum allowed
    16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)
    4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)
    *Actual available memory may be less
    Speed supported
    PC3-10600 MB/sec
    Type
    240 pin, DDR3

How fast/slow is it with the stock video adapter? That system is almost 7 years old. A decent video card might cost 1/2 to 2/3 of what that system cost initially. By the time you add a power supply, you might want to consider a new system with a lot more processing power that the HP Pavilion p6537c-b has.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365092,00.asp

You could try an nVidia 1070 or a Quadro K2200, but those will be pricey ($440 - $500+).

It's just choppy when showing designs to customers. Would adding like a $100 video card and a $50 power supply fix the problem or would I need to spend a lot more money to do that? It's a lot more work to upgrade a whole computer then to upgrade a video card and power supply.

Maybe something like this?
    Inno3D Nvidia-Geforce GT 730 4GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA video-card PCI-express x16 graphics HD 1080P windows 8/7/vista/XP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OS8UM2..._X6FVyb7AY0X8C

I guess the real question is am I just spinning my wheels putting an inexpensive video card and power supply in or will I actually see a performance difference. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an old computer.

$50 might get you a decent 500 watt power supply, which would be the minimum needed for the 2 video card options I mentioned above. Adding the GT730 might give you some improvement, but the processor and memory might also be holding it back.

If you look at the PC Magazine article I posted a link to, you might want to see how much bloatware is still installed on that computer. If most of it is still there, removing it might also help the performance at no cost.

I probably wouldn't spend very much on trying to get that system up to speed with CAD software. Current hardware would be so much faster that it would be worth the effort to set up a new system.

If you had a spare power supply and better video card sitting around unused, it would be worth trying them.

Best CPU upgrade would be a Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition2 but that May 3, 2011 Release Date makes that not feasible either.

Have you used task manager to monitor the ram while using the cad program?
    That would be worth a check.

Thread Information