Question on student pc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on student pc

Question on student pc

What would be a suggestion for a lap top for a student entering a technical school on a 3 year nursing course.

Some on line courses will be done

She is working full time presently as a CNA and will start the online soon.

Would 4 gb ram be enough or should she get 6, I assume it will be Win 10

Is there a preference, HP, TOSHIBA LENOVO, ACER ASUS?

I told her to get an ext hd,, not knowing maybe sheshould have 2 pc.s just in case?

I have given her a lit of some to look at, but she will probably look to my suggestion

Would a certified refurbished be a thought?

Suggestions?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Be aware on tablets and smartphone, external hard drives come in Micro SD cards not actual harddrives. Also it's nearly impossible to copy and paste anything. Perhaps a laptop would be better.

Some netbooks use eMMC instead of hdds. Trying to reinstall and update Win 10 can turn into a 5 hour mumbling contest.

Daughter is in nursing school, the Windows Surface Pro 4 has been a dream for her.
    Weight was a big factor with running between class rooms.

Battery time is also a huge factor. with a 30 minute charge time during the day, she could get through a 10 hour day.

Thanks

Still looking

Other than calling the companies, is there a way you can find if a laptop has a user replaceable battery?

They usually just tell you want type it is and a lot are going to tech replaceable.

The real thin ones overall, will by shop replaced.
    The thicker ones, we can pull and replace the battery.

Google replace battery in Toshiba E45W
    Google Replace battery Dell Latitude E6430

By googling in the manner In my examples, you will find videos showing how to change the battery for that model. But as I know the E6430 is just a updated 6420 I was able to find a video that covered, to me, the E6430 also. Or find picture/explanation on how to do that.

But if one does not leave it plugged in all the time and use it like it was designed to be used, like the laptop I bought in Dec of 2007, I have had no need of changing its battery. Yes, all the laptops I have or have had, I have NOT had to change a battery. Now I have to admit to having to calibrate the battery reading program now and then.

I like this E6430 mainly because of the ease of swapping hdds. Example: I have 3 SSDs with different Operating Systems on each and a hdd with Win 10 on it.
    Hope that helps.

Sometimes it's hard to be pluggged in thus the need for extra battery. Some are not doing that now.

Did not know this
    https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how...ife-estimates/

tks

You can get an extra battery pack that will let you run a laptop for 8-12 hours. Like this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...o&sku=451-bblz

Only for Dell? I haven't had time to read all yet
    tks

No, not only for Dell. Any rechargeable battery with both the correct output voltage and compatible input connector for your laptop would work. You'd also need a way to re-charge the battery of course.

Quote Originally Posted by egdufwollamhsram1851 View Post
    That not being done, is where most batteries are lost.

Example I found, maybe the video will help. Sorry, but I can not hear what they are saying.
    https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-50000m...X1FQMGKT3EEHTK

I've had to much going on the last 2 days and have not got into this to read all your helps thoroughly, but before i shut down i googled the following. you thoughts?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ftware.513838/ i article there about discharging the battery,

I really don't have an issue it was just the thought of extra batteries

The grand daughter is coming today to look at some pc selections

Basically, they are telling the truth and seems most folks waited to long to begin the calibration business and leave the laptop plugged into the darn AC all the time.

I set everything to high power. Never for sleep and that, run it, dvd, etc, until it shuts down.
    Plug in boot up and read the power, if equal or less than 10% , we are good. Just go ahead and charge it and use it,
    Now if it should be greater than 10%, charge it redo the calibration.

Now you may be still hearing the hoar stories that originated with the old Nicad batteries, those DO NOT apply to the batteries we have today.

I usually have mine running on battery until i get the low battery warning,, and if i'm using it plug it in, i have left it not shut down and have to hit resume normal to continue, i'll have to read the calibiration article to seewhat i did not know about.

Stil back to part of my point is the extra battery'"s" if one needs, where no power maynot be available.

Thread Information