Links in emails don't work
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Links in emails don't work

Hybrid View

Links in emails don't work

I don't know what is going on with my computer. Links in emails don't work and even clicking blocks sometimes don't work. There was an update several months ago to firefox and it didn't fix it.

I could not log into virtual dr under my original name imadreamer2 and so changed it to imadreamer65 by registering again.

I have run malwareytes , ADWCleaner, and JRT and found no threats so it didn't give me a log file. I run Microsoft Essentials for my antivirus. Run Windows 7 Home. I just don't know what else to do. Help.

For the VirtualDr user name issue, see post #2 here:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-Cannot-log-in

What software are you using to view your e-mails? Are you using an e-mail client program like Thunderbird or Outlook, or are you using a web browser to access your e-mail through a webmail page? If you are using a web browser to access e-mail, can we assume that you are using Firefox, and, if so, which version number do you have?

Have you tried setting a different web browser as your default and trying accessing e-mail links?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What software are you using to view your e-mails? Are you using an e-mail client program like Thunderbird or Outlook, or are you using a web browser to access your e-mail through a webmail page? If you are using a web browser to access e-mail, can we assume that you are using Firefox, and, if so, which version number do you have?

Have you tried setting a different web browser as your default and trying accessing e-mail links?
    I use Firefox but don't remember how to determine the version any more. I didn't think to see if it did the same thing in Internet Explorer. I will try that now.

Quote Originally Posted by imadreamer65 View Post
    I use Firefox but don't remember how to determine the version any more. I didn't think to see if it did the same thing in Internet Explorer. I will try that now.
    Ok I tried it and it does work better in IE. Now I have to remember how to use it.

IE seems more concerned with getting me to use Google Chrome. I am so confused.

To get the Firefox version number click Help>about firefox on the firefox menu bar.

I have moved this thread to internet related issues for now since malware doesn't seem to be the obvious cause.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Firefox is version 51.0.1. I didn't know if it was firefox, win7, or ???

IE seems more concerned with getting me to use Google Chrome. I am so confused.
    If you have the Google search page set as your home page, this is caused by Google, not IE. If it were Internet Explorer's fault, it would be wanting you to use Bing (Microsoft's search engine).

That is the latest version of Firefox. E-mail links should work, provided you have specified the default web browser in Windows.

What happens when you click on a link now?

How to set the default web browser:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...efault+browser

Still doesn't go to the link. Train thought maybe Firefox was corrupt. So he had me use the geek Uninstaller to Uninstaller it. Then reinstalled it , ended up doing it twice. It is a little better but still won't go to links. I have to highlight the link and open in a new wtab, when I can get it to highlight. It doesn't make sense of me. Seems I have better luck using the cell phone.

Still doesn't go to the link.
    What DOES it do? Does it open a new Firefox windows or tab, do you see any activity of any type at all, or does it just do nothing?

What happens if you right-click on the link? Do you get a pop-up menu with an option to open? Does the mouse pointer change when you hover it over a link? Does the link show an underline when you hover the mouse pointer over it?

You still did not verify if you are accessing the e-mail using the webmail interface and Firefox, or if you are using a different method.

What software are you using to view your e-mails?
    I use Firefox
    IE seems more concerned with getting me to use Google Chrome.
    It sounds like you are using Gmail. Gmail (or other Google apps) will prompt you to install Google Chrome if you use IE. You need to give us details so that we can properly answer your question. Just saying "email" is too vague.

Train thought maybe Firefox was corrupt.
    So you had a previous thread about this? If so, post the link.

Are you using any addons in Firefox?

I use web based gmail and firefox. Only add on for firefox is ad blocker. When I open an email with a link to another site or something I am wanting to dl, if I click the link nothing happens. If I right click it a drop down menu opens so that I can say open in a new window and sometimes it only works if I highlight it. But I used to just click it and it would go to the page in a new tab. My entries to the sweepstakes I enter are a link in the email. Sometimes when I right click the drop down menu drops but vanishes when I try to move to the category I want. That happens even on the drop down menus here. I think I must have a setting messed up somewhere. No I didn't have a previous thread about this.

It seems like my system is getting worse. On my game website, winloot.com when I go to play I click the button for my saved numbers and it doesn't seem to want to set the numbers. Then when I hit enter and try to go on it freezes. It still seems like it might be firefox yet it does it in IE also. So clicking a link on a web site doesn't work as well either. Computer draggs now too and my internet speed is not what it used to be.

Thread Information