[RESOLVED] I am working on win xp, I had to reinstall everything, Now I can't get online
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] I am working on win xp, I had to reinstall everything, Now I can't get online

Resolved [RESOLVED] I am working on win xp, I had to reinstall everything, Now I can't get online

For some reason, it can't find my server.... I have this computer hooked to router then into modem, using serial cable, my main computer is Win7. I have no problem with my other winxp, but for some reason I have tried all week to connect and can't. It pinged the ip number just fine... I have a Internet connection icon, that says disconnected, and a Local Area connection that is enabled.

I can't find SM Bus controller, but nothing in device manager had X or ? on anything.

I am desperate, PLEASE Help... I am sure it is something really stupid that I didn't do, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks to anyone that can help or send me a link for some help. I have googled and can't find an answer...

I forgot to say, I tried reinstalling twice....
    Last edited by patti686; February 20th, 2017 at 01:05 PM.

CAT 5 cable I am pattigirl and they changed my name to patti686 I have 534 posts, how do I get myname back?

It works on my other winxp, but it can't find my server??

For the VirtualDr user name issue, see post #2 here:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-Cannot-log-in

For the internet connection issue, check the Gateway and DNS Server settings. Make sure that they are the same as the ones on the working XP system.

Ok I will have to switch my connections to it and will let you know... Thanks for help

I can't find SM Bus controller, but nothing in device manager had X or ? on anything.
    SMBus is part of the chipset drivers. You'd need to install those. If you did a clean install of Win7, did you also install the network card drivers?

You'd need to provide us the make/model of your computer or motherboard, otherwise we can't be more specific than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    SMBus is part of the chipset drivers. You'd need to install those. If you did a clean install of Win7, did you also install the network card drivers?

You'd need to provide us the make/model of your computer or motherboard, otherwise we can't be more specific than that.
    Yes I installed network card drivers, but for some reason couldn't get the SM bus controller to install.

This is a Dell Dimension 4550, winXP can you find the motherboard using make and model? I can give you service tag if that will help??
    Last edited by patti686; February 20th, 2017 at 04:29 PM.

This is a Dell Dimension 4550
    I don't see Win7 downloads listed for that model. And it looks like Intel didn't make Win7 drivers for that chipset.

Please clarify. Is the problem computer running XP or Win7? The 4550 is a really old system; something isn't adding up here.

You MUST install the chipset drivers and the network adaptor drivers from Dell.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Gateway and DNS is same on both computers
    I used the Resource that came with computer, maybe those drivers are too old, will go to Dell and download new ones

Windows XP

Windows XP
    Then the chipset drivers on the link from jdc2000 should work.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...&categoryId=CS

Thread Information