Problems connecting to WiFi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems connecting to WiFi

Problems connecting to WiFi

Hello,
    I am helping out a small business with wifi issues. It seemed the wifi on their old Linksys router died so I bought a new Netgear router to replace it. I have been doing this a while and am pretty familiar with setting up these routers. They have DSL service through a local company here as well as ATT DSL on a different line for guest access in the office. I connected to new router to the DSL service and all the hard wired computers worked perfectly. I changed the SSID of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to what they wanted and I can't get anything to connect. It either keeps asking for a password or tells me the password is wrong. I know the passwords are correct as I can look at the configuration page and see them. I talked to Netgear support and we reset the router back to the defaults with the default Netgear SSID and password and I get the same problem. No connection or incorrect password. The Netgear rep suggested I take the router back and get a new one. I did that. I bought the next step up, the AC1900. I think it is R6220 model. I was able to connect as long as I didn't change the SSID but as soon as I changed the SSID the exact same thing happened. Even after resetting it I couldn't connect. I turned off everything in the office. All the computers and telephones and printers. I turned off the DSL modems and disconnected them. The only things running were the Netgear router and the computer I was using to configure it. Still the same problem. Can't connect to WiFi. And now the problem gets more interesting. I had a friend come by for a second set of eyes. He has an Android phone where as I have an iPhone. His phone connected to the WiFi no problem and after that everything else connected. So everything was working fine the next morning until around 12:30PM and then everything wireless disconnected again and we had the same problem. Then right before closing everything seemed to connect up again and all the backed up print jobs spit out.
    I am at a total loss as to what would cause this. Has anyone seen this before? At this point maybe the original router wasn't even bad. Maybe it was just having this same weird problem. I changed where things were plugged in. I changed everything I could think of and can't fix the problem.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I changed the SSID of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to what they wanted and I can't get anything to connect. It either keeps asking for a password or tells me the password is wrong.
    I'm guessing that they told you to use the same SSID and password as the old router? You might need to have the workstations "forget" the old network and find the new network, even though the names are the same.

I bought the next step up, the AC1900. I think it is R6220 model.
    That is only an AC1200, not 1900. If it's for a business, I think it would have been worth spending a little more for an R6400 at least.

Are the modem and router on a UPS? I've seen weird issues when there are power problems.

Are they using DHCP or not? Are there any devices using a static IP? The DHCP scope may have been different for the Linksys, so there could be some overlapping IPs.

Thanks for the reply. I had all the connected wifi devices forget the original network. Had the same problem on my phone and laptop that have never been connected to that network.
    The dsl modem is not on a UPS but all of the hard wired computers work correctly.
    It is not a big office so I figured the one I bought would be powerful enough. That doesn't seem like the problem. I can't get device to work when I am only a few feet away. They are using all DHCP. I tried to assign a static IP address to the wireless printer but it was outside the DHCP scope.
    It doesn't matter what I change the SSID and password to. It always says wrong password and can't connect.
    Thanks

So this was the same problem you were having with the Linksys router?

The dsl modem is not on a UPS but all of the hard wired computers work correctly.
    Wired connections are generally more bulletproof than wireless. Power sags can cause weird problems. If this is for a business, it would be good to have their network equipment on a UPS.

I tried to assign a static IP address to the wireless printer but it was outside the DHCP scope.
    That's what you are supposed to do. Do NOT use static IPs within the DHCP scope.

Did you update the Netgear router to the latest firmware? Make sure to use a WIRED connection.
    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220#download

You didn't say what kind of computers they have. Are they Windows desktops? If so, what OS? Are they all the same make/model?

I did upgrade the router to the latest firmware. The old Linksys router would not connect wirelessly. I also had a hard time even connecting to the administration screen of the router so I suggested replacing it.
    The have several computers. 3 Windows 10 desktops, 1 Chromebox, 1 old Windows XP machine, a Windows 7 starter edition laptop and 2 Mac laptops. Anything wireless has the same problem. The Brother printer is also wireless.
    Thanks

Hmm. It sounds like the Linksys was bad if you could connect to the admin page via wired connection. You didn't say the model of the Linksys, but if it was that old, it might have been time for an upgrade anyway.

I'm guessing the newer computers are using the 5GHz band? Do you have problems with both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands?

Are there any devices near the modem/router that could cause interference or draw a lot of power? Like if there is a microwave oven near the router, that could have caused issues at 12:30pm (lunch time).

I tried to move the router out into the open. The only thing near it was the phone but I moved that and even unplugged it at one point. The linksys router was fairly old. Not sure of the model.
    The 5GHz network has the same problem if I modify the SSID.

I'm guessing that the SSID for 5GHz is the same as the 2.4GHz SSID with a 5 or a 5G after it?
    I'm assuming the SSID is within standards (32 char max, standard ASCII letters and numbers).

What kind of encryption are you using? WPA2 is best, but older clients may not support it.

Did you check for any other wireless networks in the area? Did you select WiFi channels that don't overlap neighboring WAPs?

I have tried several different SSIDs including the default Netgear49 and Netgear49-5G. The one they want is only a few letters long. Using WPA2 personal. There are several other wifi networks in range. I have tried auto channel as well as several different specific channels. Nothing seems to fix it.
    Thanks

They've had wifi in this same office for years without any problems.

Hmm. I still say you should put the modem and router on a UPS. Other members here would agree. It weird that it was working and then suddenly stopped at 12:30.

There are several other wifi networks in range. I have tried auto channel as well as several different specific channels.
    So you verified which channels the other WiFi networks are using? 2.4GHz should use ch 1, 6, or 11. 5GHz has way more non-overlapping channels.

Do you have SSID Broadcast enabled or not? You should leave it enabled.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe other members will have ideas.

I agree it's probably a good idea to put the modems on a UPS but I have the same wifi connection problems when I don't even have the modem powered on or connected. Yes the SSID is broadcasting.
    Thanks

Hmm. Last things I could think of. What is the make/model of the modem? If it has a built-in WiFi router, that could be messing up the Netgear router. I've run into that problem before, even after the customer assured me that the WiFi was disabled. Sigh.

I'm assuming you tried the router on different outlets/surge protectors.

Did you try disabling encryption? Just as a test, not permanently.

I'm guessing you already looked at the Netgear KB, but it's worth a try anyway:
    http://kb.netgear.com/24775/Cannot-c...rase-on-router
    http://kb.netgear.com/23655/Troubles...Fi-connections

I've tried changing the outlet it's plugged into. I've been doing this kind of work for a while and this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I guess it could be a possibility that both the Netgear routers I bought were bad. The funny thing is that the first one I bought was a linksys router and that one was definitely broken. Only the power light turned on and I could never connect to it. Then I bought the first Netgear router and had this problem. So I returned it and bought a second Netgear router but am having the same issue. I've been buying these from Best Buy since it's right down the street. Guess I'll return it and try a different brand. 4th times a charm?

Unless anyone else has any ideas. I won't be able to get back there until Monday anyway.
    I really appreciate the help.

Yup. It's a really strange one. BB has the R6400s on sale. Regular $130, but $20 off right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-...?skuId=9054017

Thread Information