DISM usage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DISM usage

Thanks for the update. Gotta love being an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.

Is that a stock, off-the-shelf system, or a custom built one? If it is stock, there may be some info available somewhere that might help track down the update issue.

For Microsoft updates these days, I usually make a full image backup before attempting to install updates. That way, if something goes wrong, I can always restore a working system. Sometimes the Microsoft rollbacks have been known to fail.

If you are upgrading over the internet, yes I would expect trouble.
    I used the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool and it got the latest.

I have a USB stick a DVD , and I have the ISO on my hdd.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

Both the 32 bit aND 64 bit .ISOs.

Once you get them, you can do a clean install if the computer has been registered with MS. And MS will re- register it.

This is a Dell Latitude E6420 that I bought on Ebay with Win 10 Pro activated. Originally Dell said that Win 10 was not tested on this model. I do have an E6430 too which is listed for a Win 10 install. Here is the exact msg from Dell:

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

The list of Dell computers tested with the Windows 10 Anniversary update is below:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN297954

The E6420 is not listed, but the E6430 is.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The list of Dell computers tested with the Windows 10 Anniversary update is below:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN297954

The E6420 is not listed, but the E6430 is.
    I know that. This is where I found out about all the different models but thanks. I got it working well but it takes 75 seconds to boot is all that is the matter now so I am happy.

So another story: I work on computer ya see. I just got a customer today with the same problem. Gateway laptop, Windows 10 with a black screen that has the circling dots on the screen. She said that they did some kind of an update and this happen. Luckily for me that Gateway has an F10 key you can hit on start-up that took me to resetting this computer. So here we go again.

It's funny the black screen with the circling dots on my laptop froze up when the dots were shaped like a U so it looked like the screen had a frown on it. I thought my computer was just sad. My customer's dots were just constantly circling. Ok let's see what happens. Anyone want to know or should we kill this thread? I can be back like Arnold says.
    Last edited by jonnyb; February 16th, 2017 at 08:19 PM.
    Thanks, JB

I know that. This is where I found out about all the different models but thanks. I got it working well but it takes 75 seconds to boot is all that is the matter now so I am happy.
    Not bad all time wise. It will boot faster if you use a SSD though.

That is about the same time to boot up as my 8 core AMD 8150 with 8 GB of ram did with a 7200 rpm hdd.

Cloned it to a 256 GB SSD and now it boots in about 15 seconds.

The E6420 will take 8 GB of ram.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...latitude-e6420

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Not bad all time wise. It will boot faster if you use a SSD though.

That is about the same time to boot up as my 8 core AMD 8150 with 8 GB of ram did with a 7200 rpm hdd.

Cloned it to a 256 GB SSD and now it boots in about 15 seconds.

The E6420 will take 8 GB of ram.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...latitude-e6420
    It's an experiment computer I am using. My own laptop has a SSD and boots in 20 seconds. I ain't no dummy.
    Ok on the customer's Gateway it went to 100% rebooted and now we are back at the spinning circle on a black screen. Great, I knew it would work.

More to come. I got into a chkdsk c: /f /r for now. I am going into the jacuzzi now.
    Thanks, JB

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    It's an experiment computer I am using. My own laptop has a SSD and boots in 20 seconds. I ain't no dummy.
    Ok on the customer's Gateway it went to 100% rebooted and now we are back at the spinning circle on a black screen. Great, I knew it would work.

More to come. I got into a chkdsk c: /f /r for now. I am going into the jacuzzi now.
    A day later and I could not get my customer's computer to do anything with any kind of Windows 10 repair, could not go back to Windows 8 either. Even tried a Windows 10 DVD for repairing. Found out that on her Gateway that Windows 7 can be installed. Guess what I did with her OK? Yes, we now have Windows 7 on this Gateway laptop and one happy customer.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Glad that she is happy with 7 but what does that say for repairing a Windows 10 computer?
    Thanks, JB

Since it had win 10 on it and activated, I would have DBAN the drive and clean installed win 10.

It had something like 5 partitions on it that I all deleted with my Windows 7 DVD to make one big partition plus it made a small partition for whatever it uses that for. The partition is something like 100 MB or so. I guess it is for a System Reserved partition for Windows Boot manager and a Bitlocker configuration. Anyhow I figured after it deleted the partitions and then formats them then I am satisfied with that. The computer originally came with 8 on it. Saw the M$ logo on the bottom of the laptop. 10 was an update.
    Last edited by jonnyb; February 19th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
    Thanks, JB

That was probably one of the computers that Microsoft performed an unwanted update on.

Customer was a lady about 70 yrs old, had no teeth and just uses Facebook. She had no documents, no pictures, no music, probably just a bunch of cookies on the computer and in the keyboard. It was a dirty computer with dust, fingerprints, scum and smears. I had to disinfect my hands after I worked on it. I feel contaminated. She didn't know what happened. The 10 update probably came in and she clicked on it and it went from 8 to 10 without her knowing it.
    I was happy she had money to pay me. Looked like a computer that you would find in the trash though. I cleaned it up, Armour-all and vinegar made this computer look like a month old. I will probably get it back in another year, ha!
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information