[RESOLVED] Wierdness in filing system - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wierdness in filing system

My point is that you're not even supposed to be cracking open the junction points. That's why there is the permissions error when you try to open them. You opened a can of worms when you took ownership to view them.

You might have noticed when clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer, with a shortcut icon on it (a Junction Point), you get an Access Denied message from Vista. This is to be expected. As mentioned above, the Read permission for Junction Points is set to Everyone – Deny. You are not supposed to access these folders, and there really is no reason to access these folders.
    The link I posted in #10 has a chart where the junction points map to.

For Local Settings, it would be this:
    Old Path: \Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data
    New Path: \Users\<user>\AppData\Local

That command just creates a list of the junction points. You don't really need to run it.

C:\>dir /aL /s > c:\users\<username>\JunctionPoints.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    My point is that you're not even supposed to be cracking open the junction points. That's why there is the permissions error when you try to open them. You opened a can of worms when you took ownership to view them.

The link I posted in #10 has a chart where the junction points map to.

For Local Settings, it would be this:
    Old Path: \Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data
    New Path: \Users\<user>\AppData\Local

\Users\<user>\AppData\Local
    is where my real profiles are? I'm only interested in those because I back them nightly and copy them to other computers, etc. I also see multiple copies in other folders, Roaming, for instance. I haven't touched anything yet.
    Last edited by foxy; February 14th, 2017 at 07:52 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Yes, that is the correct path for Local Settings in Win7.
    You can verify this by opening about:support in Firefox, and then clicking on "Show Folder".

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#######.default

Note that AppData is a hidden folder, so you'd need to go to Organize > Folder and search options > View, choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Scratch that. I tested FF on my VM and it also puts the profile folder into Roaming:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#######.default

There is a Profiles folder in Local, but it doesn't have the prefs.js and other profile files in it.

I can reverse the "Take ownership." I just don't want to lose it in my profile folders.

As a gift for doing this goofy thread, I present my archive of Mozilla logos. Google closed PicasaWeb, and my photos are hosted elsewhere now.. They really did a nice job with the collage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1049222...eat=directlink
    Last edited by foxy; February 14th, 2017 at 08:13 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dir /aL

That command will list the junction points.

Note: You may have to right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator to get it to work.

For clarification:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/typ...ata-windows-7/
    The applications choose whether to save to local or roaming, and roaming is used by default by most applications, it acts as local to people not on a domain, and to people that are, their settings follow them.
    Local is only typically used when explicitly preventing settings following a user across a domain.
    Nice lizards

I wish the internet of 1996 were still here.

error

Thread Information