DVD Drive not Working - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD Drive not Working

>You need to solve the BIOS issue before anything more can be done.
    Exactly, but options are not available.

>What boot device or options are actually available, if any?
    Since I can't see what the boot sequence is, I have to assume it goes from DVD to HDD to USB, no help whatsoever because the DVD drive was the problem in the first place.

I'm sure the tech dude is reading from a cheat sheet and working on the assumption that the DVD drive once worked and replacing corrupt files would restore it but he should have asked about the Restore options before he got me into this mess.

>so it thinks that you don't need a choice.
    Yeah, but since when did we not need a choice? You only need the DVD drive to break. I've never known a computer to not give you the choice, in fact, in all my years of computing, changing the boot options is by far the most frequent reason for editing the BIOS.

>someone who knows what they are doing.
    Therein lies the rub.

See if this link helps:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/45...all-asus-k55vm

You need to try turning off the UEFI BIOS option.

Also, if you call ASUS tech support again, ask to speak to a second level tech.

OK, if you disable Secure Boot, Save and Exit, then press Esc as it starts, you can select a boot device. So I'm back where I was, Windows is available again but the DVD drive is still down.

Did you test the DVD drive in a different PC yet? That really is the fastest way to see if it is the faulty device, or if there is something else causing the issue, like the laptop's drive controller, software, cables, etc.

No, I'm ok with software but I have an irrational hatred of all things hardware - and I need to recover from the latest fiasco where I was shut out of the machine with no apparent way to change the boot options. BTW: When I was able to make a change it was only between DVD and HDD, I saw no USB or network options (or diskette

Thread Information