DVD Drive not Working
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Drive not Working

Hybrid View

DVD Drive not Working

I have an Asus G55V and the DVD drive makes noises but doesn't show contents of a disk or even show up in Windows Explorer.

I've tried updating the driver, removing a registry key per MS technote, accessing the drive with VLC, made sure it's enabled in the BIOS but nothing changes. The machine is not very old and the drive hasn't had much use at all.

What can I try next?

Thanks - rev

Try the drive on a different PC. Try a different drive on the problem PC.

That's all very well but I don't happen to have a laptop DVD drive lying around. Isn't there some kind of diagnostic?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    You could try a cleaner disk.

Done that, no change.

That looks like a standard SATA DVD drive. Just try it in another PC. If it works, you have a laptop problem. If not, the drive is dead.

>Just try it in another PC
    Ah, this is where you end up breaking the laptop apart with kitchen knives because you can't find whatever is holding it together. Or you can find the screws but you don't have a tool that small...

You mean that kind of 'just try it'?

To get it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYRrtwa-Yc

Should help.

Not so bad, I think I can handle three screws. Thanks!

Laptops usually require a Philips #0 and/or #1 screwdrivers.

Just remember which screw goes where. Different lengths is the killer.

Lots of videos on how to tear down computers out there now.

ASUS support got back to me and suggested I do a hard reset by holding the power button for about 60 seconds and then reset the BIOS to the defaults. Having done that, the machine will not exit the BIOS. I press F10 to Save and Exit, screen goes blank for a second, then displays the BIOS again instead of starting Windows. How do I get out of the loop?

I got in touch with ASUS tech support and they suggested I do a hard reset and change the BIOS to the defaults. Now I'm stuck in a BIOS loop, it comes back to the BIOS as soon as I Save and Exit. Support had me try to invoke the recovery options but the machine doesn't have the factory installation on it, it's Windows 7.

I tried disabling Fast Boot and enabling Launch CSM and it's sub-option per other posts on the web but nothing works. (BIOS v217)

Fortunately, the machine is backed up and the owner doesn't mind if I wipe the disk and reinstall - but the problem is, the Boot Priority Options in the BIOS are not accessible, the cursor skips right over that option and goes to the next, so how do I get out of this?

Thanks - rev

It sounds like the ASUS "tech" you talked to couldn't do anything more than read options off his troubleshooting list. If the BIOS is locked into a loop, you can't do Windows recovery until that is fixed, and a Windows recovery on the hard drive wouldn't fix the issue anyway. Maybe you will get a tech who knows a little more the next time you call them.

If the boot priority option is not available in the BIOS, that usually means that the BIOS is only seeing one bootable device, so it thinks that you don't need a choice. What boot device or options are actually available, if any? You need to solve the BIOS issue before anything more can be done.

Sounds like a EUFI BIOS, and the Safe Boot option in it has things all locked up. So yes, you will need to get a hold of some one who knows what they are doing. And they have gotten real tricky even with it disabled, to get a laptop to boot to a thumbdrive. Took me about 3 days to beat A HP Stream BIOS to where I could boot a thumbdrive and believe me, I had to read the manual about 5 times too.

Thread Information