[RESOLVED] Putting a new computer on the network

Thread: [RESOLVED] Putting a new computer on the network

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Putting a new computer on the network

#1 desktop--XP Pro Network named "HP7700" on network
    #2 desktop Win 7 Ultimate
    Network is wired and called "RSNETWORK"

1--I won #2 in a computer club raffle, and I know very little about Win7. I'm still keeping the XP till I get everything transferred over, so I need everything networked right now. Win7 made a new network called Homegroup, and now it shows me 2 networks. I can't find any place to put it on my old one and give it a network nickname. Are the 2 OS's not compatible?

2--Win 7 also won't let me change my Windows user name. I still have the name the builder gave it, Prize-02. I changed it in Control Panel> User Accounts, but the old name is still in my Documents&Settings and My Documents.

I'll keep it only if you tell me it can't be changed

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    2--Win 7 also won't let me change my Windows user name. I still have the name the builder gave it, Prize-02. I changed it in Control Panel> User Accounts, but the old name is still in my Documents&Settings and My Documents.
    I think the only way to remedy that is create your own account and then delete the other ones. Or a registry hack but I'm up to par on hacking the registry in Windows 7, best to wait for someone more knowledgeable on that.

Win7 made a new network called Homegroup, and now it shows me 2 networks. I can't find any place to put it on my old one and give it a network nickname. Are the 2 OS's not compatible?
    Homegroups are not supported by XP. You'd have to use workgroups.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

That's normal and there is no easy way to change all the folder paths. Like Photolady said, you should create a new account and remove the old ones. I'd make your account an administrator also.

Thanks for the article. That looks like a good site. Must I have a PW? I've done just fine without one for 20 years, and I live alone.

I presume I am the admin, since there are no other named users. Changing the name is not that important to me in the larger picture of learning Win 7 thorughly, but I hadn't thought of creating a new account.

I hate change, and switched only because some of the work I encountered can run only in 7, and because Firefox will stop supporting XP soon. I haven't been having any security issues.

I know XP backwards and forwards, all its quirks and techniques and ways of getting around problems and registry hacks. 7 feels like XP distorted in one of those fun-house mirrors. By the time I get to know it completely, MS will pull out the rug under me, in 2020.
    Last edited by foxy; February 9th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What password are you talking about? You don't need to have a Windows password.

You might hate change, but XP is no longer secure. Vista was terrible, but 7 is pretty solid.

About 1/3 down the page in that article, it says I need a network PW on my other machines. I have a wired network and I've never used one.

It says to turn off password protection to allow any user to access the shares.
    If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password protection. This is located in Advanced Sharing Settings toward the bottom of the list.
    If you don't want to do that, THEN you need a password.
    If you want to keep it enabled make sure there is a log in account for the other XP machines and they have a password.

Many thanks.

About XP being insecure: I added a few extra programs, BD Anti-Ransomware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and it's now almost 3 years since support stopped. No security problems yet. But it is time to move on.

Thread Information