Office 2000

Thread: Office 2000

Hybrid View

Office 2000

What ho one and all,

Please don't laugh when I say that I have Office 2000 running on my XP Pro computer. It does what I want and in reality, I am probably only using around 20% of the program's ability.

I use Outlook, purely for its Contact section because I like the way it operates. I do not sue the e-mail / calendar / notes / tasks / etc functions.

However, I ALWAYS have an issue trying to understand how to back-up the information. First, what is the difference between Archive / Back-up / Export? Since they all go to a *.pst file, I am unable to find an answer.

Today, I was culling some old address information and up-dating other. Then I have made a archive-date.pst (as a test) and used Export to create another OL-TodaysDate.pst.

To check, I have a PST viewer program. Opened the Archive and there was nothing; totally empty. Opened the OL-TodaysDate.pst and everything appears to be there.

However, if I open Outlook, I have the window as shown in the attachment, and I really don't understand.

Outlook.jpg

Why are there three levels of Personal Folders? At level 1, there are 184 entries listed in the Contact (which is the same as Rex in the Shortcut bar.) But level 2 and 3 have only 131, which would be correct because of my culling. As far as i can make out, level 2 and 3 are the same, so why are they duplicated?

Finally, and though it was some time ago that I created The Highlands (Neighbourhood Watch group) I never wanted is as a sub-folder of Contacts. So who do I move it?

Which brings me back to the back-up; does backing-up Personal folders cover everything? Or do I have to back-up each individual folder (ie Contact; Highlands; Mum; SelfBuild.)

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

The short answer to backing up - copy your PST file while Outlook is closed to another drive.

Example of the Archive function - copy All emails and calendar items older than X number of days/months from the Main Inbox etc to the Archive pst file. This keeps your main inbox lean and mean.

Personal Folders - it looks like you've managed to copy your main set of folders.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Again , many thanks. I have now added the location of my File Hamster 'watch' list so will be back-up up every time I alter the info.
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Rex -

On the multiple sets of Personal Folders, if you have attached more than one .pst file (like for example a backup or archive .pst file), you would also get a listing for the folders in that .pst file on the left side in Outlook.

You can right-click on one of them and select Properties to see the detailed information:

http://www.quepublishing.com/article...01382&seqNum=4

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/image...736063_CH3.pdf

https://askleo.com/where_is_my_outlo..._file_located/

Thread Information