Monitor Won't Power Off
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Won't Power Off

Hybrid View

Monitor Won't Power Off

I reinstalled windows xp in a pc & I cannot get the monitor to shut off.
    In checking the power options, I got this message: "indicates two revision
    levels are incompatible". I've never run across this before. Till I can resolve this, I have to manually power off the monitor. Any suggestions ?
    Thanks.
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Looks like there is a registry issue:
    http://windowsitpro.com/windows/xp-power-scheme-fix

There are other ways to turn off the monitor too:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-quick...creen-windows/

Thanks for the reply; I tried both methods as indicated from the windowsitpro.com website to no avail. The one that stated to remove the "DEFAULT" line, did take away the error message but did not resolve the PWR issue. I even exported a copy of PowerCfg from a WINXP OS on another HD that was trouble free, removed the supposedly faulty one & imported copy to the registry & came up with the same issue.
    As for the alternative way to powering down, using the free SLEEPER app., all that I am able to get from the website is apps that want you to purchase their product such as: "DriverUpdate", "Reimage", & "From Doc. to PDF". Nowhere can I find the free copy as advertised. I find this to be the case in many apps that supposedly to be free but are overrun by these companies. Even trying to get a Microsoft app. you get these so-called Microsoft Pardners & they offer to scan your PC etc. then in the end, they want you to buy their product. Sorry about the long post & thanks again....

Just worth mentioning is that those "Microsoft Partners" are not related to Microsoft in any way. They are scam artists and if you did get them to scan your PC you should immediately run your a/v and Malwarebytes to see if they've left any nasty "gifts" on the computer. And uninstall anything they may have used to scan the computer or any other program related to them.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Hmm. That's odd about Sleeper. The page lists a download for "Super sleeper", but not Sleeper. The Monitor Off site seems to be down too. Gees. Guess I gotta update my bookmarks.

Monitores works.
    https://github.com/ukanth/monitores

Nircmd is legit. It's one of a several utilities I use from Nirsoft.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Thanks for tip, fink. I've always been suspicious of those types. And Midknyte, it was the super sleeper, I tried for. I'm going to experiment for a while with the other working Winxp. I have a quick change slot whereas I can swap HDs easily. Maybe I can dig into pwr options a little deeper of the good xp & do a little more importing & exporting.
    It's really not a big deal, I can always reach over & tap the on-off switch of the monitor or I can just switch to another pc via the kvm switch. However, it always bugs me when something likes this happens, & it will continue to do so till I've fixed it. Thanks again, Midknyte for your time & help. It's always appreciated !!

I decided to go ahead & reinstall windows XP. However, Ive run into another glitch I've never encountered before. I reformatted the HD, & when the bios boots I get this message:d"Following are warnings that were detected during this boot. These can be viewed in setup on the event log page? Warning: managability Engine (ME) Channel A Dimm is Missing" . I tried to just ignore this message & go ahead with the install. Made several attempts. & each time the Blue screen (death) killed it after get got started quite aways into the install. I even tried a different HD. I even set the bios boot to factory default. all to no avail. I'm thinking this might have been the problem of monitor contrls. not functioning ? Any ideas??

DIMM = RAM and BSODs are commonly caused by bad RAM.

Reseat the RAM and run Memtest. If you don't have UBCD5 yet, go to the link in my signature.

I changed the ram & no longer get that error message, however, I still get the blue stop: screen. it reads ; stop: ox0000000A (oxoooooo10, oxooooooo2, oxoooooooo, ox8051AA58. I think Microsoft has put a curse on my xp disc. I have 2 identical towers . Same mother board. When they were new, they both had winxp. I could swap the drives from one tower to the other with no problem. Then later I converted one tower to Windows 7. The other stayed as winxp. So now that I'm reinstalling windows xp, in one of them, I'm getting all this problems. I evn took out the windows 7 drive & tried installing windows xp on a HD & I get the same results. In the process of installing the OS, it installs all the file then when it gets to the point of installing windows (at the 37 min. point, the blue screen stops it. I cant imagine two identical towers have the same issue ...

Have you changed or added any hardware to these computers, or changed the BIOS settings since the original Windows installation?

One thing you could try is to disconnect any hardware not needed for a minimum system configuration, and restore the BIOS to default settings, then make any needed BIOS changes, and try the install.

The link below may have some useful information also:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-xp

What are the make/models of the computers? How old are they? Did you check the motherboard for bad caps?

If there was a RAM problem, that could have corrupted files on the hard drive. Did you run Memtest or not? I would still run it, even if you don't see the RAM error message anymore.

That ram may not close enough in specs.
    Method 3: Check the computer RAM
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-xp

If the match is not close enough
    1. Can not boot.
    2,\. Boots but you have all kinds of weird errors.
    3. Works like we want.

I want to thank all you guys for your input on this matter. I finally got winxp reinstalled. Two things I had to do. The PC had 4gb of ram. I removed both strips (2gb each) & replaced with a single 1gb. Smallest I had. Will reinstall the 4gb later. I also had to change the HD. I am not sure at this time as to why. Will check it out later. That makes 2 HDs that it would not accept. Fortunately, I have several laying around. However, I do still have the : "Indicates Two revisions Levels are Incompatible" issue. I'll use one of your suggestions & just live with it. Getting to old to hassle with this stuff ) Thanks again to all !!

Thread Information