Modem & Router Overkill ?

Thread: Modem & Router Overkill ?

Modem & Router Overkill ?

First I wish all a happy new year. Haven't been on in a while. Also for some unknown reason, the PW, I've been using for years would no longer log me in. What a hassle that was!!
    Anyway, I recently got upgraded by my ISP (centurylink) to a new modem supposedly to 40mb service. The modem is a C2000T by centurylink. My question is this. I have been running a Netgear Nighthawk x68000 with the old system. So now I am running x68000 & the C2000T. I know I have to have the modem, but do I really need the router now? I had gotten the router in order to improve the poor wifi from previous modem. Not sure if this modem would be any better in the wifi department. Any suggestions? Thanks.....
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I have been running a Netgear Nighthawk x68000 with the old system.
    There is no Nighthawk x68000. Do you mean an R8000 Nighthawk X6? If so, the R8000 is a MUCH better router than the C2000T (802.11ac vs 802.11n). No contest. Disable the Wifi on the C2000T and use the R8000.

And while we're on the subject, you should look into buying a modem if you're still leasing. It'll pay for itself eventually.

Thanks as always Midknyte; you are right . It is the r8000. A typo on my part. As for the modem, the last one I had to purchase. This one they gave me . Supposedly no charge.. However, I better check on that. Thanks for tip....

Don't forget to update your router firmware. There have been a few security updates recently. MAKE SURE TO USE A WIRED CONNECTION.

http://kb.netgear.com/000036746/R800...rsion-1-0-3-32

Will do. Thanks again................

Thread Information