Garmin communication issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin communication issue

Garmin communication issue

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT and have had it for a few years. Last fall I loaded a windows driver package that had USB (flashboot) drivers from Challenger Backup Solutions v 2.3.72.0. Unknown to me for a while but this caused the Garmin to not be seen in devices and printers. Also the SD card on the Garmin which usually is a separate drive letter in Exploiter disappeared.

On my laptop that had the same driver update I just rolled back the driver and all is good.

But on my Desktop with Win 7 Pro I could not do this. I did manage to manually delete the usb driver causing the problems as far as viewing the Garmin and the SD card on it.

My problem now is Garmin Express will not complete the install on the Win 7 computer. Garmin Express is how the maps are updated on the device.

Below is a screen shot of the install error. I do run the installer as an administrator.

garmin device interaction service failed to start
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you check Services to see if that service mentioned in the error message is installed and started?

Possibly useful links:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ailed-to-start

https://www.sevenforums.com/software...n-express.html

No it is not running and does not show up.

It is likely not getting installed then. You could try searching the Registry for related items to see what is there.

I assume that you do have a version of the Microsoft Dot Net Framework installed.

Yes I have the dot net framework installed. And ran the two Microsoft net dot fixes included in your above post to no avail.

It use to work but I had a impending hard drive failure errors so I cloned the drive.

I'm trying older version of the Garmin Express as suggested in the second link posted at seven forums.

I tried the latest three versions and no go. Went to the oldest version (2.3.18.0) and it installed and sees the device. Currently updating the map. This usually takes a hour of two with my connection. It says 30 minutes but I will see.

Thanks

Ok the old version installed and connected to the Garmin. It would start the new map download from garmin online but did nothing for the next two hours. So I tried to install the latest version of Express and got the same error saying the services did not start.. I did run the install program as an administrator.

Tried the three latest versions.

Gotta love software "updates".

You might try contacting Garmin, or post this info on their user forums at the link I posted to see if any help is available from them. The other option is to install the version that installs properly, and let it run overnight to see if the updates finally show up.

I'm pretty sure it's all because of my cloning the hard drive. I had problems with Quickbooks not finding registration info too.

I can get it to work OK on the laptop so it's really no big deal.

I think it's time to reinstall Win 7. It's probably been 3 years since doing that.

Your other option is to dig through the registry and remove any references to Garmin software, then try re-installing the latest software.

I believe the problem is a corrupt user profile. I did get the software to install but it still says I don't have the service started for whatever reason.

I tried to make a new profile and copy most of what is in my original one but it was no better. 25 Gbs too.

Did you re-check Services to verify that the service is there and Started?

No the service is not there.

I had to manually apply permissions for the Programdata/Garmin folder. And it is now installed.

From the Garmin forum...

Typically when the Garmin Device Interaction Service failed to start, it is related to permission or Microsoft .NET Framework issues. To try and resolve this, try the following:

Make sure the account currently signed in is the Administrator account and has full control of the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService folder and subfolders
    Turn off or temporarily disable security and antivirus applications on the computer
    If the computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, repair Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30135
    Restart the computer after the repair

If the Garmin Device Interaction Service still fails to start, contact Product Support by phone for further assistance.
    I did not have permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService folder and subfolders. I did enable full control and Garmin Express finally installed.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...728#post945728

Thread Information