Suggestion for action camera please

Thread: Suggestion for action camera please

Suggestion for action camera please

I had the Vivitar DVR786HD for about one month and returned it to place of purchase. Got full refund.

Was basically satisfied with the quality of the video and snapshots but did not have a function that I was really looking for. It would not record and at the same time be able to show what was being recorded on a smart TV. I would have to remove the SD card and put it in a computer and play back just to see what was recorded. It did have a viewer LCD screen but it is so small it is hard to see (my main concern is that the camera I want has a viewfinder but it does not have to be large, just want to be able to see what I am recording if not hooked to a TV). The other thing that I was not impressed with was the 4x digital zoom. Once you zoomed in the color and picture was all distorted. But from what I hear that is inherit of the digital zoom.

I am asking for a suggestion on an Action Camera mainly because I want something that is waterproof so it can be taken in the swimming pool for the kids, in our hot tub when we have company and social gathering and I like to set it up on the living room coffee table so guests can sit in front of the TV and watch themselves being recorded as they verbally blog about the party.

The problem with the 786 is that you could not watch what was being recorded on the TV at the same time. Also most times because of that if someone sat down in front of the camera they may even be out of the viewfinder and the video is missing them all together except for their voice.

What function do I have to look for to give me the ability to do the real-time monitor recording. If it has HDMI does that mean it can do it? What use is it if it has Wi-Fi?

It was suggested that I get the Vivitar DVR794HD but the problem with that one is that the LCD screen is only to show you the functions and is not a viewfinder so you can see what you are recording; kind of dumb if you ask me. Also it has the 120 degree view and reviews state that the video is distorted on the far edges of the video because of the 120 degree angle.

My price range is between $75-$115 for the camera and I can buy the accessories like the tri=pod, SD card etc separately as I need them. I don't want to spend a lot on the camera because it is only for fun.

So some suggestions would really be helpful. I don't know much about the things I need to look for like the realtime monitor while recording, the reason and functioning for the Wi-Fi and if it has HDMI does that mean it can show what is being recorded at the time on a TV.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by question2012; January 12th, 2017 at 09:04 AM.

With that price range, your choices will be somewhat limited.

Reviews and options:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471905,00.asp

http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...ameras-1274790

Thanks for the links. Started reading a lot of the reviews etc but still not quite sure what feature in particular I am looking for by its name.

What feature do I have to look for in order to get the real time recording monitor so I can see what is being recorded at the same time on TV? What is that function referred to? Or do I have to just know what ports are available on the camera itself such as a HDMI port?

Also, what does the Wi-Fi feature provide. All they say is that they do or do not come with Wi-Fi feature, but what does it allow you to do if it has it?

Thanks

The "how" will depend on your camera and your TV. My wife and I can set our main TV's input source to "Mobile Device", then over on either of our cellphone's toggle "Screen Mirroring" to "On" then start the cellphone's video camera. Now everything the cellphone is looking at, (with either the front or back camera lens), is being displayed on the TV while the cellphone is recording the video. Cost is nothing really ... other than the cost of the TV and cellphones of course.

Samsung 60" SUHD TV
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 cellphone
    Motorola Moto X cellphone

Possibly useful link (should answer your Wi-Fi question):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ith_wi_fi.html

Thread Information