Lock Out Scam - Thoughts?

Thread: Lock Out Scam - Thoughts?

Threaded View

Angry Lock Out Scam - Thoughts?

My Mother, who is 92,
    got a phone call that said she would get $250 Microsoft Dollars if she went to this website and signed up. Naturally she did it, but she is not too eager to give the details. Fortunately, when the website asked her to enter a dollar amount, she mis-typed it, and the transaction couldn't go through. They called her back and threatened to call the Sheriff and to disable her computer and so on. Remember this was over Voice Phone, not in a email or anything like that.

Now the computer (an old Win-XP Dell) is stalled at the Win-XP log on screen. I tried doing a restart in SAFE MODE hoping to bypass the Password request.

I tried restarting in the "Last known good Configuration". No luck, always hits the password.

She doesn't remember the website she went to, and she won't say whether she gave her bank account information. I think she is a bit embarrassed.

This is in a small town, so we know the people who work at the bank, we called them and explained what happened. So they are going to keep their eye open for any unusual electronic transfers.

Does this particular scheme sound familiar to anyone, and has anyone figured out how to get past the Password?

It is not a total disaster as I just bought a new computer and was intending to give her my old computer, but now she can't transfer her emails, adress books, and other personal stuff like photos. Fortunately she does not have much of that. She usually keeps her email account pretty cleared out. She can get the old email address back by other means. So, while it will be inconvenient, she is not dead in the water. Plus she as a small Smart Pad she can use to access Facebook.

Back to the Lock-Out. Does anyone recognize this scam, and does anyone have a solution to it?

Thanks for your time.

Steve in MN
    Last edited by boyblue; January 10th, 2017 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information