Remoting in to work computer

Thread: Remoting in to work computer

Remoting in to work computer

Hello,
    First, I debated if this should be hear or Networking. Please move if necessary.

I split my time between work and work from home.

My basic question is this: I work alot with BIG Excel files. At work is slow, at home is slower. Does the makeup of my home computer (ram/cpu/etc) make any difference to how Excel works/calculates?

My work comp = intel i5-2400s, with 8 gbs ram. It happens to be an HP.
    Home come = 4 gb ram, AMD Phenom X4 9750. I have a high speed 100mbs internet connection.

Thank you.
    Toolman55

Thank you train but no. It's the calculating time, time to save. It opens in a heartbeat. Home is Win 10, work Win 7.
    I am using my workstation at work which had Excel 2007.
    Toolman55

How large (size in MB) is the spreadsheet file?

When you remote in, are you actually controlling the work computer and using that to open the workbook (Remote Desktop)?

File sizes large- 80 to 100mb

Yes, using the work computer. Not by Remote Desktop, but by software--Citrix
    Toolman55

If you are remoting in using Citrix, then the work computer is doing all of the calculations and Excel work, the home computer is just displaying the work computer's screen information. An i5 and 8GB of RAM should be plenty for this.

Where are the Excel files stored? Are they actually on the work computer, or is the work computer accessing them on a network shared drive? If they are on a network drive, and you only have 100 MBPS network speed, that could be your problem. Gigabit Ethernet would be 10 times faster.

If you use formulas for a Workbook that has more than 5k rows, you will have a performance hit regardless how fast your computer runs.

Solution:
    • Turn off the option to auto calculate per cell on changes.
    • Copy the file to your local drive (SSD prefer). Don't work with large excel files over network.
    • VBA
    • If there are massive data calculation, MS Access is the better choice. MS Excel is used more for small data set. Huge mistakes (Accountants in general) to turn MS Excel into a small minature database. There is a way to do this very efficiently.

If you can attach the Workbook with smaller sample data, I can make assessment and suggestions for you. If the MS Excel Workbook is more than 80mb, I am assuming that you are working with more than at least (collectively) 100K rows and 20 columns or to that ratios (Rows x Columns)?

MS Excel (VBA) and MS Access (VBA) are my area of expertise. SQL, Crystal Report, MS Reporting, Shell programming, etc... are also areas of enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If you are remoting in using Citrix, then the work computer is doing all of the calculations and Excel work, the home computer is just displaying the work computer's screen information.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Where are the Excel files stored? Are they actually on the work computer, or is the work computer accessing them on a network shared drive? If they are on a network drive, and you only have 100 MBPS network speed, that could be your problem.
    Exactly!
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; January 16th, 2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Thread Information