Restoring from an image

Thread: Restoring from an image

Restoring from an image

I have a machine that's riddled with an excellent virus and I want to restore from an image file - but I don't know how. Can anyone give me steps? Do I have to wipe C: first or does the restoration do that? etc

Thanks - rev

What software did you use to create the image?

The restoration software might clear the partition(s) first, but if I had malware on the drive, I might DBan it first to eliminate any possibility that it could survive the restore process.

I beileve I used something called Backupper (Iomega?). Can Windows restore an image made by another program?

I went to Dban page: " While Dban is easy to use, there's no guarantee of data removal" - so how would that help?
    Last edited by Reverend; January 9th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.

Backupper is AOMEI software. You would need to use their restore program to restore the image.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...omei+backupper

I have the software but it's installed on the bad c drive. If I wipe the drive to be sure the gremlins are gone, how would I restore?

You would need to make a bootable rescue media (CD, USB drive, etc.) and boot from that to restore the backup.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...kupper+boot+cd

If you had made the restore cd/usb stick, they should have options for doing that, you would boot to it and clone back/restore back.

DBAN, using the auto function, overwrites everything on the hdd 3 times. That buries junk real good.
    Will admit there was one time I did it twice. 6 overwrites may have been overkill though.

JUST make darn sure you have the right hdd!

Note:

Test your bootable restore media BEFORE DBanning the drive, to make sure it boots and can see the image to restore.

Got it, thanks. I didn't make bootable media at the time so I'm doing that from a different machine right now.

The virus is very cool, it takes control of any browser, defeats all known anti virus, pops false claims from MBAM saying the virus is quarantined, replicates on startup and assigns a randomly generated filename to the copy. It downloads and installs 7 programs and installs add-ons and extensions to the browser. Over time, it stops all other programs from opening. I copied stuff from the desktop to a stick and I could see the file list but when I took the stick to a different machine the files were not there. If you uninstall Chrome it invokes IE and continues - best I've seen!

Create bootable on Sandisk USB - Failed!
    Create bootable on Traveler USB - Failed!
    Create on blank CD - Failed!
    Create on 2nd Blank CD succeeded, it booted, 'Aomei is loading' - for the last 30 minutes! i.e. another failure.

It can't be something I'm doing wrong because I'm only following instructions, it can't be the media either because of all the different brands. Even if I get one to succeed, this doesn't bode well for the Restore process...

Have you tried the bootable CD on a non-infected computer?

Yes, it has failed to create five disks now, kicks them out at 99%. However, the one that was 'Loading' finally came up with the restore screen. It took an hour. I have no choice but to try and make it work.

Thread Information