Problem booting a W10 desktop PC

Thread: Problem booting a W10 desktop PC

Problem booting a W10 desktop PC

For many months now I have experienced odd behaviour in starting my Dell desktop PC with W10. I have ignored the issue because, somehow, I hit upon a procedure that worked -- although I never fully understood what was going on. Recently that procedure has become balky and I think I better seek help now before I find that I cannot boot at all. I would be grateful for suggestions and answers to these questions.

After pressing the start button on the System Unit, my screen shows a scenic screen-saver-like photo with a stylized icon of a person and the text “801” beneath the icon. The screen also contains the message, “You have entered the wrong password. Try again.” and an OK button. When I clicked the OK button two lines of text appeared in the lower left corner of the screen:
    “Joe Smith (my name)”; and
    “801”

If I clicked : “Joe Smith” and entered my password, the screen would say “Welcome” and a few seconds later my desktop would appear and I was logged on and everything worked.

Recently, however, I find that the two lines of text (Joe Smith and 801) do not reliably appear. And I am worried about being locked out.

Q1: What is that “801” account? Was that assigned to me by W10 or by Dell? I do not recall ever opting for that name or selecting a password for that account?

Q2: Is that “801” account somehow tied to W10's OneDrive (which I have never used), or not?

Q3: How can I find the password for that “801” account?

Q4: How can I change the setup so that the PC initially boots to the “Joe Smith” account and not to the “801” account?

Q5: Are my fears of being locked out of my PC groundless or not?

Thanks for your help. … bkar

Q1: As far as I know, 801 is not a default W10 or Dell account
    Q2: Probably not
    Q3: Per the VDR AUP, we cannot help you with passwords.
    Q4: If you are sure you aren't using the 801 account, you could just disable the account. After that, only the Joe Smith account should appear at the login.

Q5: Did you run any antivirus/antimalware? If the 801 account suddenly appeared one day, that is not normal.

MidKnyte: Thanks.

Further info and questions:

1. I see that documents I write using OpenOfficeWrite are stored in a folder This PC\C:\Documents as well as in This PC\Users\801 and that in addition to that 801 folder, the folder This PC\Users\ also contains folders Default, migrated; and Public. And I can read any of the documents in This PC\Users\\801 without entering any password. -- What are those Default, migrated and Public folders?

2. How do I go about disabling that 801 folder --- without losing the files in it?

3. How do I change the settings of Open Office Write to cause future OOWrite docs to be stored in This PC\C:\Documents ?

... bkar

Disabling the 801 account wouldn't block access to the folder.
    http://mywindowshub.com/enable-or-di...in-windows-10/

Default for the default profile for users
    Default.migrated would appear if you did an upgrade to W10
    Public is for all users
    *There should be no need to mess with these folders

2. Again, I said to disable the ACCOUNT, not a folder

3. https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...hp?f=6&t=49416

Thread Information