[RESOLVED] Malawarebytes found 79 PUP threats

Thread: [RESOLVED] Malawarebytes found 79 PUP threats

Resolved [RESOLVED] Malawarebytes found 79 PUP threats

Ran a scan, I'm being attacked by PUPs. Quarantined. I also used Zemana which found more threats. (Suspicious browser threats) I want to know how can I find the source of whatever the heck I downloaded that's attacking my computer?
    Threats detected: Pua.toptool ..... maxthonappstore...setup.exe
    Does this mean the Maxthon browser is infecting my computer? I just downloaded the latest version 5 Maxthon. Here's the screenshot of Zeman scan:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/830757...posted-public/
    Last edited by Sal_gal; January 5th, 2017 at 03:03 AM.

Looks more like the addons that came bundled with the browser that's causing the alerts. Where did you download it from? If you got it from a third party website then the bundle may have been added by them, if you got it from Maxthon directly then they added it themselves and then you may want to consider not using it again because that sort of hidden payload is reprehensible.

I would at least temporarily uninstall Maxthon and find out where the PUP/malware bundle came from and then reassess whether you still want to use that browser or at least that version of the browser if previous ones were clean.

Run another scan after you uninstall it and if there are still remnants of those programs lingering on the computer then you should start a new thread in the intensive care forum to get rid of them.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Looks more like the addons that came bundled with the browser that's causing the alerts. Where did you download it from? If you got it from a third party website then the bundle may have been added by them, if you got it from Maxthon directly then they added it themselves and then you may want to consider not using it again because that sort of hidden payload is reprehensible.

I would at least temporarily uninstall Maxthon and find out where the PUP/malware bundle came from and then reassess whether you still want to use that browser or at least that version of the browser if previous ones were clean.

Run another scan after you uninstall it and if there are still remnants of those programs lingering on the computer then you should start a new thread in the intensive care forum to get rid of them.
    Will do. Seems that every browser I like, that works, has this stuff on it.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Maxth...2-program.aspx
    I went to Control Panel and uninstalled Appstore.

Thread Information