Does Full KVM wireless technology exist?

Thread: Does Full KVM wireless technology exist?

Does Full KVM wireless technology exist?

The key is that these PC's will never have dedicated monitors and keyboards.

I've heard of KVM over IP, but that sounds nothing more than RealVNC or something equivalent.

I want to be able to do everything from setting up PC BIOS to running DOS or some LINUX boot disc.

Right now I'm using Belkin OmniView Pro2 KVM's and really want to eliminate this cabling.

Also, I have no budget (!) so I'm in the used eBay market.

My KVM uses VGA and usb. About the least you can get away with. Wired KB and mouse.

Run several distros of Linux both installed, live cd and Live USB. plus Win 10 successfully.

I have not seen any wireless KVM switches, especially those that would need to work with BIOS setup. If you could find one, it would have the usual range limitations of wireless technology, as well as the potential for RF interference which would be bad.

The KVM over Ethernet switches usually just convert the data to Ethernet protocol, they are not like RealVNC. This allows much longer cable runs that you can use with actual PS/2 or USB cables.

However, with no budget, you may be out of luck. Anything you find on eBay is likely there for a reason, like it didn't work out for whoever originally bought it.

How many systems did you need to connect to, and what length of cable do you need?

Are you using VGA video connections?

Are you using PS/2 or USB keyboard and mouse connections?

Wireless range is no problem - I've got 9 PC's on a large desk so the cable runs are no more than 6'

I've got VGA/PS2 KVM cables which are basically "one" cable. (If I got VGA/USB that would be 2 cables, but if there was a proper conjoined KVM style, it would still be 1 able. So USA doesn't really help.)

My problem is that for now, the back of the desk is not against a wall and the KVM and LAN cables are all hanging out in the open. It is quite the eyesore. But now, the desk is going to have to go against a wall and having all that cabling behind the desk basically inaccessible is something I'd like to avoid.

NOTE: I also was completing a gigabyte LAN (getting all the same LAN cards) which still has really poor data transfer rates (the whole point of going that route) and am about to throw in the towel and go wireless to eliminate that wiring.

Cable trough?? I find they help at times.

I was thinking of some kind of "rain gutter" laying along the back of the desk up against he wall - maybe 6" tall and 2" wide.

My home computer station back is not against the wall. The biggest clutter are the numerous terminal strips for 110v. So they are all plastic tied to the back of the workstation which is a metal tube construction. So there is nothing on the floor. Of course the back is a clutter of wires. But it stays much cleaner and no dust bunnies.

Maybe the first thing I should decide on is if I'm willing to give up the gigabyte LAN and go wireless. That would eliminate the switch and a bunch of wires.

Getting power to everything can be a bear.
    Test your transfer speeds. Unless you use SSDs most likely 70 Mb will be the fastest.

Thread Information