Repair SSD

Thread: Repair SSD

Repair SSD

Is it possible to repair a SSD? When an HD starts showing signs of crash, at least, some data can be recovered. The PCB board can also be changed out for a corrupted HD. Unfortunately, SSD is like "POOF!" and everything is gone.

I bought two of these when they first came out (which was about 7 years ago):

Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSC-D0064SC-2100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820250001

First one died within two years. Second one died a few days ago. And when I said they died, I mean that they are no longer showing up in BIOS. I have tried SATA to USB and everything. No detection at all. It was working fine for the last 6 years. I have a SanDisk SSD that gets detected fine. Don't tell me! SSD has a lifespan? I have HDs that are from 10 years ago and still running fine.

That brings to another question, is there a real-time mirror (Backup) software of your choice? I would like it to run in the background and backup an appointed folder.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; November 29th, 2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Yep, hdds and SSDs quit when they want to. From dead in the box, to my 2 GB, $468 conner which still works.
    Lots of dead one along the way.

Syncback , I use the free version to manually sync and back up folders.
    Yes, I TAKE the time to do it.

SSDs do have a limited lifespan, but it will normally be a lot longer than what may be advertised. However, when the die, they are dead and all of your data is likely gone. A specialized recovery service may be able to get back some of the data, for a hefty price.

You may want to consider using an SSD for the boot and software drive, and a regular HD for data storage.

Another vote for SyncBack for syncing folders.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28560...ity-fears.html

https://www.krollontrack.com/services/data-recovery/

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    A specialized recovery service may be able to get back some of the data, for a hefty price.
    Luckily, I backed up the entire drive 12 hours before it crashed. Like Train's reply, it is a weekly routine thing that I do for my drives. I might have lost only a few files and I have a tool (that I wrote) to track all of my files on my drive.

You may want to consider using an SSD for the boot and software drive, and a regular HD for data storage.
    Yes, that is how I have it setup. However, the WD SSD that died was used as a storage drive because it is such an old piece of hardware.

Another vote for SyncBack for syncing folders.
    Will do!

JDC, that article that you provided also used the word “poof!”. Hahaha! It copied me.

Thank You Train and JDC2000!

Got curious , and have you seen the SSD prices lately? Unknown brands showing up too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/...36?Order=PRICE

I can remember paying about this price for a PATA 30 GB 7200 RPM HDD.
    http://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/...82E16820226596

Just like the wd ssd, I will use the next old hard drive in replacement. In return, I will buy a larger hard drive to replace that one in line.:d

This way I can get rid of old drives.

Hard drives definitely last much longer than ssd. I have hard drives that are still working from 10 years ago.

Those are first gen SSDs. SSD tech has improved a lot since then. I'd take the SSD performance over HDs any day.

On the flip side, I see way more laptop HDs die than SSDs.

There is always a chance of device failure, so you gotta make proper backups.

I was waiting for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I'd take the SSD performance over HDs any day.
    I would agree if it is for the OS drive. I bought a SSD (Crucial MX300) on Black Friday for about $70.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820156150

I was about to return it so that I will just use my extra 2TB Seagate hard drive for my sandbox (research and development). The old WD SSD (64 gb) was my sandbox area. This way, I can save the $70 and if later I need more storage, I will invest into a large TB hard drive. This is how I cycle the hard drives (older and smaller) out.

You posted that you would take SSD over HD any day. The words of Midknyte made me hesitated to return the SSD now and maybe I might keep it. The OS is sitting on a separate SSD so no issue there. Whatever I decide, it is for the sandbox area which is more for read/write but doesn't required fast processing like the OS.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; November 29th, 2016 at 08:44 PM.

For OS/apps, it's SSD for sure. For storage, HD is still a lot cheaper per TB.

I always use VMs for sandbox testing, not physical drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I always use VMs for sandbox testing, not physical drives.
    that is what I meant. My vm sits on the same ssd with the OS. I work inside the vm and save to a share folder that connects from guest to host. The shared folder was sitting on the WD SSD. This is where I am thinking going from ssd to hard drive.

Your call, but 10 years is a long time, most folks are not as lucky as we have been with their hdds/SSDs.
    Seems 3-5 is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Your call, but 10 years is a long time, most folks are not as lucky as we have been with their hdds/SSDs.
    Seems 3-5 is normal.
    That is interesting. I own many many hard drives (from 2 tb and up).

The way how I run my hard drives and SSDs, I leave them outside of my case. I run the sata lines and power lines outside so that I can hotswap on AHCI. I also have a 120 mm fan against those hard drives (2 at a time).

I have had this setup for the last 5 years and only had one hard drive (Seagate) crashed. Before this setup, I had 3 hard drives that failed on me (1 Maxtor and 2 Western Digital).

I really believe heat is a big factor in killing hard drives. On the other hand, I am not sure what kills SSD. I have decided to keep the SSD and use that instead of the cycled out old 2 TB drive.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; December 2nd, 2016 at 07:51 AM.

Heat is the enemy.

I have a old Dell 755 set up like that for testing Linux distros. And it had Win 10 BETA on it too.

Thread Information