[RESOLVED] wireless password keeps disappearing

Thread: [RESOLVED] wireless password keeps disappearing

Resolved [RESOLVED] wireless password keeps disappearing

Aloha,

I'm running windows 7 home using a Belkin M300 wireless adapter to connect to the internet. My adapter was set to connect on startup, but as of yesterday I have to click the wireless icon, click my SSID and click "connect" after entering my password (always blank now). The connect automatically widnow is check marked, but doesn't seem to work.
    Is there a repair program I can use? Nothing was installed or software changed. Ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. SuperAntiSpyware found 2 Trojans and 8 PUP's that I had it clean. After reboot still the same problem.

Did you restart your router? What is the make/model of the router? What encryption are you using?

Did you try disconnecting, removing, and then re-adding your wifi network?
    Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks

Superantispyware is obsolete. I would just uninstall it.

Midknyte,

Yes I rebooted my router, have my son's computer on it also and it's working fine, no problems.
    How do I delete my SSID from the wireless network so that I can re-install it. Went to the control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks, but from there??? No option to remove it. Tried right click and no options.
    Using WPA2 personal encryption.

Went to control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks and it says "you are not connected to any networks", so I clicked the link "connect to network". The network wireless list came up so I selected my SSID with put in my password. After connection, I logged off and back on and still control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks and it says "you are not connected to any networks"
    How do I permanently setup a home network?

You should have seen a list of all wireless networks you have ever connected to in Manage wireless networks. It should NOT be blank.
    It sounds like the Usrclass.dat file got corrupted.
    If there was a network listed, you would just right-click and click "Remove network"

Try this fix:
    http://www.tidbitsfortechs.com/2012/...on-in-windows/

Movefile download:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...nals/pendmoves

You might be able to boot to safe mode and rename/delete the usrclass.dat also.

Tried both links (same program), but it didn't work. Tried "take ownership" and went into safe mode, couldn't delete the UsrClass.dat in my profile. Tried SFC /scannow, didn't help.
    It's been over 3/4 years since loading Win7. Think I'll just reload with Win8.1 (don't know why, but I like it. Have it on my laptop) and start fresh.
    Thanks Midknyte for you help and advise, we tried.............

What do you mean it didn't work? Did you rename or delete the old usrclass.dat or not? Did you use an elevated command prompt or not?

The reason you have to use movefile is because you can't rename an open file. I guess it is still in use by Windows in Safe Mode.
    Taking ownership wouldn't get around the open file issue. SFC /Scannow wouldn't help either.

I couldn't rename / delete the usrclass.dat, even in save mode. Yes I used the CMD as administrator. I searched for usrclass.dat repair and all the returns pretty much said the same way to repair / delete it. My computer had a few other minor problems pop up at the same time. I do have the Windows 7 CD, but I went ahead and installed Win 8.1 instead. I'm going to make a Acronis image for back up, and then re-install Windows 7 in a couple of months. Figured 8.1 has a little longer support time left then 7 does.

I couldn't rename / delete the usrclass.dat, even in save mode.
    That's why you needed to use the movefile program. Oh well. Good luck with Win8.1

Thread Information