Increasing my WiFi in the home...

Thread: Increasing my WiFi in the home...

Hybrid View

Increasing my WiFi in the home...

My home wifi has been aggravating my spouse over the last few months because she cannot reliably facetime or use high speed for multimedia stuff.

I was wondering if I could get a plug in repeater like https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750...ct_top?ie=UTF8 NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700) but the reviews are suprisingly poor... and it seems to be that way for all the plug in repeaters that I saw.

My current router is a TP-Link N750 Wireless Wi-Fi Dual Band Router (TL-WDR4300) and while it's not that old, I also thought that could be a possible solution. I dont really know what to do.

I also heard that you can take an old router and then turn that into a repeater... so another option would be buy a new, better router and turn my current WDR4300 TP LINK router into a repeater (if it is capable, I dont know that either).

So, really, what do the experts in WiFi think my best option is for increasing the Wifi in our house?

Thank you.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

You'd be better off replacing the main router with 802.11ac.

If you like TP-Link, you could get a C8 or C9.
    I prefer Netgear. The Nighthawk R7000 has been my router of choice for a while now. Anything more than that is probably overkill.

You didn't say what kind of WiFi clients you have. Remember that the router is only part of the equation. 2.4GHz usually has better range.

You didn't tell us about the environment either. Do you have wood or concrete walls, etc?

You'd have to check if your old router can be configured as a repeater. You might need to flash it with a third party firmware like DDWRT. If you want to make it a wireless repeater, remember that cuts your bandwidth in half.

Ok Im looking at the Netgear routers and kinda sorta decided on taking the plunge. It's a lot for a router, but I figure I need to do something to help the network. BTW, my house is a 1 floor fairly open floor plan built in the 90's so nothing like solid wood/concrete walls.

My question is.... is this router technology going to be outdated anytime soon? basically, I don't want to upgrade if something new will come out fairly soon. Even if I decide to get the same router, the new tech will certainly crash the price on the older high end stuff.

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You'd be better off replacing the main router with 802.11ac.

If you like TP-Link, you could get a C8 or C9.
    I prefer Netgear. The Nighthawk R7000 has been my router of choice for a while now. Anything more than that is probably overkill.

You didn't say what kind of WiFi clients you have. Remember that the router is only part of the equation. 2.4GHz usually has better range.

You didn't tell us about the environment either. Do you have wood or concrete walls, etc?

You'd have to check if your old router can be configured as a repeater. You might need to flash it with a third party firmware like DDWRT. If you want to make it a wireless repeater, remember that cuts your bandwidth in half.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

Change the antennas to a higher dB ones.

I know the Nighthawk R7000 penetrates my daughters lead based painted walls that the 1880s house has real fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Change the antennas to a higher dB ones.

I know the Nighthawk R7000 penetrates my daughters lead based painted walls that the 1880s house has real fine.
    I like the idea of something simple like that... is there a way to know if the antenna I buy is actually better though? Or is there a "go to" product that would be a good upgrade.

Also, the walls are standard modernwood and drywall; house from 90's i think.

For what it's worth, I have no loyalty to TP LINK, I just bought this router because I thought it was decent and the price was reasonable. I never figured you need to spend 170$ on a router like that Nighthawk!

If you're a Costco member, they sell a R6900 which is basically a renumbered R7000 (to prevent price matching).

The TP-Link C8 would be much cheaper.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...outer-reviewed

Food for thought.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqtpkVea1_M

I have been unable to find the dB for your TP-Link N750 antennas but guess they are probably close to 3-5 dB.

The TL-WDR4300 user guide on page 144 - Antenna Gain 2dBi@2.4-2.5GHz, 3dBi@4.9-5.825GHz.
    Eric

802.11ac is going to be the standard for a while more. 802.11ad is still on the bleeding edge, so it'll take a few more years if and when that becomes the general standard.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ce-performance

I'll let the other guys chime in, but I don't see the point in waiting around.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    802.11ac is going to be the standard for a while more. 802.11ad is still on the bleeding edge, so it'll take a few more years if and when that becomes the general standard.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ce-performance

I'll let the other guys chime in, but I don't see the point in waiting around.
    Wow didn't know that was even an option lol @ R9000 around $400 though!!!

Oh and I should point out that I am mainly interested in a semi-strong stable wifi connection not necessarily the fastest. I want it to be stronger so my smart thermostat connects reliably and I can FaceTime without the wifi cutting out. I don't think these are necessarily bandwith hogs as much as needing stability.

I believe you will appreciate the new router. When I upgraded to the Linksys EA 4200 in 2011, yes it just came out, I spent about $200. Quite a jump over other stuff available price wise.

Just realized, the other day, how far and through concrete my phone can go to reach that silly thing. And the Nighthawk R7000 , in my book, is a better router. And NO, I do not recommend Linksys any more.

And NO, I do not recommend Linksys any more.
    I agree. Linksys got bought out by Belkin from Cisco a few years ago. Ever since then, Linksys has been overpriced and underperforming.

Thread Information