[RESOLVED] Canon MX 490 "offline" from one computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Canon MX 490 "offline" from one computer

Resolved [RESOLVED] Canon MX 490 "offline" from one computer

We have the above printer hooked up on our Wifi network. It works flawlessly from my desktop, which is connected to the router by Cat5 cable. From my wife's laptop, connected via Wifi, it sometimes prints okay, and sometimes pops up a message that the "printer is offline." That is not a brief message while the printer "wakes up," it prevents printing indefinitely, but while that is going on, I am able to print from my desk top. So there is simultaneously an "offline" message from the laptop, while printing is being done from my desktop.

So, as a test, I disabled the Wifi adapter in the laptop and made it connect via wired connection. Now both computers are connected via Cat5 to the router. The laptop printed once and now is getting the "printer is offline" message, while the desk top is printing without issue.

Both computers are Win7 Home Premium with the same updates. Both freshly rebooted and, as far as I know, no weird utility programs running. Both Avast protected and neither displaying any abnormal behavior (other than the printing issue). Any ideas?

Did you restart the router also?

Are you using a static IP or DHCP for your printer?
    I always prefer to assign a static IP, but you need to make sure it is outside the DHCP scope of the router.

Also, check the firewall settings on both computers. Make sure that any settings related to the printer on the computer where it is printing OK are also present on the other computer.

"Are you using a static IP or DHCP for your printer?" That's probably a very good question, and I don't know the answer to it. Connecting it to the Wifi consisted of a process on the printer with a "Settings" button and some prompts in an LED window. DHCP vs. static Ip never came up. How would I check that and how would I change it?

jdc2000: yes, Windows Firewall in on for both computers. In "Printers and Devices" in Control Panel the printer is selected as default and shows as "ready" in both computers, and its status shows the same in both computers everywhere than I can see (i.e. Device Manager).

Did you restart the router yet? Do that first and see if it helps.

If you didn't set a Static IP, then it must be DHCP. What is the make/model of your router? Did you keep the default IP and DHCP settings? You need to know the DHCP scope before you assign a Static IP.

I'm guessing you have a PIXMA MX490. Did you download the manual?
    https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...es/pixma-mx490

On pg. 213, there are instructions for manual printer setup. You'd need to go into TCP/IP Settings. They don't go into detail, but you'd basically need to turn off DHCP and enter a Static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway. We'd need your router info for that.

Sorry, Midknyte, yes I did restart the router and yes, Pixma Mx490. Nice printer, once I get around this problem. Router is a Netgear CG3000D, and as far as I know I kept the default settings.

I downloaded the manual and did get the printer to print out the Network Configuration Page.
    TCP/IP Version: IPv4 & IPv6
    IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.0.9
    IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    IPv6 IP Address: 2600:8801:9307:5500:FA0D:60FF:FEDA:3ED0
    IPv6 Default Gateway: FE80:0000:0000:0000:028E:F2FF:FeF6:351B

There's a bunch of other stuff to, so I'll add whatever you need.

I tried looking through the printer manual, but it doesn't say much about networking. You'd need to look at the TCP/IP settings and see if there is a "manual" option.

Ah, it's a combo modem/router. That's fine. The DHCP range starts from 192.168.0.2, so I'd use 254 for the printer.

IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.0.254
    IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The manual, after considerable digging, did direct me to the "IJ Network Tool" program, installed with the initial printer setup, which allowed me to change the IP address as you advised. I did the printout of the Network Configuration Page by the printer and verified that the change was made. Unfortunately that does not seem to have solved the problem. Still prints from my desktop and presents "offline" message from wife's laptop.

When printing failed the IJ Network tool popped up and offered to test the printer for problems. I allowed it to do so and it reported no problems, including, "Printer is offline: No (no problem)."

Try temporarily turning off the firewall on the laptop. If the printer is found but reported as offline, that could be the firewall blocking full communication.

Did you add the printer as a local printer with a TCPIP port?

Try doing this on your wife's computer now that you have set a Static IP:
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/helpdes...printing.shtml

I turned off the firewall: still got the "printer is offline" message.

I installed the local printer with a TCP/IP port per the instructions. After entering the IP address it said it was going to contact and verify the device, then came back and said that it could not find it. It said that if I was sure of the IP address I should select my device and click "Next," which I did, but the only think I could select was "Canon Network Printer."

When I got to step 7, my printer was not on the list (it went from MX320 to MX700), so had to use "Have Disk" to find the driver, but other than that no issue. It installed "MX490 (Copy 1)" and set it as default, but when I did the final step of printing a test page I got no action, brought up the printing action popup and got a "printer error" message with no error number or other details. When I attempt to print from a regular application, I no longer get "Printer is offline," I now get "Printer is not responding."

What happens if y0ou open a Command Prompt window and type in the following, then press Enter? (put in the last number of the IP address of the printer in place of the xxx - 254 or whatever you used.)

Code:
    ping 192.168.0.xxx

Packets sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0.
    Time: min 12 ms, max 84 ms, avg 49 ms.

It said that if I was sure of the IP address I should select my device and click "Next," which I did, but the only think I could select was "Canon Network Printer."
    No, it should have been a local printer, not a network printer.

So you can ping the printer from your computer, but not your wife's?

The ping result was from my wife's laptop. Result from my desk top is essentially the same, so I can ping it from both computers.

In Step 2 of the process I selected "Add a local printer," but I'll uninstall that one and do it again and see if there is a Canon printer in the list which doesn't say "network."

Thread Information