[RESOLVED] why won't windows defender automatically update?

Thread: [RESOLVED] why won't windows defender automatically update?

Resolved [RESOLVED] why won't windows defender automatically update?

constantly since my anniversary update for win 10 I will be working away on the desktop when I get a notification that my defender is out of date and to update please click here .. then I have to do a two step process to upgrade ...

with my older virus programs on other O/S ( avg for instance) this was always done in the back ground and always updated without being asked .

can windows defender for win 10 ( see attached) not do this on its own?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

I assume that you have Windows 10 set to automatically install updates, and that you do not have your internet connection set as metered.

Info from Microsoft on how updates to Windows Defender works (it does not automatically download and install updates, that is done by Windows Update):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918355

If you have other updates pending install, install them, reboot and Defender should run right, learned that just now when it said files not in right place for a error message.

Use Windows Defender Offline
    http://www.windowscentral.com/use-wi...-windows-10-pc

Just used it and it worked fine.

Thread Information