Disk Headroom question

Thread: Disk Headroom question

Disk Headroom question

I know you can't fill a hard disk to the max without creating a problem because some headroom is required, not just by the C: drive but other devices (if the disk is external). But I've never understood why, can anyone explain?

Also, what is a good percent to leave empty?

Thanks - rev

At least 20% free space would be my recommendation. There are files like the pagefile, hibernation file, etc. that need space to grow. Low disk space contributes to file fragmentation, and you need working space for defrags.

OK, that sounds reasonable. Can you think of a reason a full disk containing movies won't work with a Video Receiver? It starts to play the movie but it drops the ball after 20 mins or so.

I don't see why the problems would be related. Maybe it has to do some caching/buffering which requires disk space?
    Why do you think the problem is caused by disk space? Did you clear some space and test it?

What do you mean by a "video receiver"? Can you at least provide a make/model?

>What do you mean by a "video receiver"?
    Audio Video Receiver or AV Receiver. Grand central station for home theater. Mine is an Onkyo 707 or something like that.

>Did you clear some space and test it?
    Not yet because the disk space theory only just occurred to me. Onkyo said update the firmware but it's been working for years so I didn't go for that idea. If you botch the update you can defeat the whole device and firmware doesn't bad without lightening or pouring beer into it.

The only thing that's changed for sure is the space on the disk.

Oh, an AV Receiver. I was thinking you meant a video streamer like a Roku.

The only way to test that theory is to clear some disk space, but I still don't see how it would be related.
    How much free space do you have now?

What are you using to play the video? If disk space is the problem, I'd guess it's some kind of buffering/caching going on with the video app.

In any case, you should clear some disk space. 20% is the minimum for me.

>but I still don't see how it would be related.
    Neither do I and Onkyo said nothing about it. That doesn't mean anything though.

>What are you using to play the video?
    The disk connects to the Onkyo AV Receiver via a powered USB port and you select the movie using the remote and the front panel display.

>How much free space do you have now?
    18 gig out of terabyte.

I trust Onkyo gear and so do all other owners that I've met and the unit is less than 2 years old. I really don't think it's the Onkyo. I suppose if a cable was loose that would explain it but everything seems pretty snug and cables don't generally twitch about by themselves.

There may be disk manufacturers that aren't supported or don't work as well but then why have all my disks worked until now. The only variable that I can think of is diminishing disk space.

Well, that's out of my scope, since I don't own an Onkyo. Maybe you need to check their support forums.
    You should check about buffering/caching. If it is upscaling, it might need some disk space for that also.

18GB out of 1TB (About 930GB formatted) is only about 2% free. That is extremely low. Chances are a lot of your files are fragmented, especially large movie files.
    If you're going to buy another external for your Onkyo, it might max out at 2TB. Some hardware won't support larger disks (GPT).

Yeah, my media player doesn't support more than a terabyte unless you partition the disk. I'll defrag, get rid of some stuff and retry.

Thanks.

about 2% free
    May not be able to defrag it without removing enough to have 10% and then it will take a day or 2 to defrag it.
    20% will defrag a lot quicker.

Best thing with videos is just transfer them one at a time to another drive. That way they are not fragmented.
    Lost videos to defragger messing things up.

Guarantee you won't be able to defrag with 2%. Most defrag apps require a minimum of 15%.

I discovered that all my disks have zero fragmentation already.

Thread Information