Questions about range extenders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about range extenders

Questions about range extenders

Hi,

Here are the stats before my questions:
    I have a 1955 ranch wood frame house--wired computer (with modem) is in the center.
    The wired internet speeds are 250 Mbps (Win 7--self built 10 years ago)
    The two wireless devices are a brand new HP laptop and a self built desktop (6 yrs old?) with Hawking wireless adapter. Both Win 10.
    They are no more than 40 linear feet and 1 wall from the wireless modem (Time Warner, just upgraded)
    The best wireless speeds attained are about 40 Mbps. Today around 13.

Unless you see an obvious problem, will a range extendor improve speed/performance?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
    Don
    Toolman55

Post the make and model of the following items:

Time Warner wireless modem

HP laptop

Hawking wireless adapter for the wireless desktop computer

It would help if you provided the make/model of the modem and router.
    Model of the laptop and Hawking adapter would help too. We need to know what you are working with.

For distance, you'd want to use 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz.

laptop - hp 15-ay011nr

hawking---hwdn2 hi gain -150n dish adapter

modem--arris TG1672G

Thank you.
    Toolman55

The specs on the hardware items look good enough to support faster speeds.

What happens with the laptop speed if you move it into the same room as the Arris modem? Do you get a speed improvement?

Arris TG1672G
    I'm not a fan of combo modem/routers. I doubt a range extender would help, since you are still relying on the TG1672G (802.11n).

Are you using 2.4 or 5GHz? Like I mentioned before 2.4GHz is better for distance.

Is there a reason you didn't buy your own modem and router?
    I'm assuming you're paying for the 300mbps TWC plan?

I'm on the 2.4 GHz line. Yes, the laptop speed increases in proximity to the modem. The thing is, for years I had my own router. No problems. Then an "upgrade". Fair, steady performance from a different Arris. 30-35 Mbps wireless speeds.

Now another "upgrade" and nothing but problems. Win 10 could not get on the internet. I had to change drivers just to access the internet. My Linux laptop has steadier performance!

So an extender would not help? Would having my own modem and wireless router be a better solution? Can I disable this combo units wireless and use my own router?

Thank you for your quick responses.
    Toolman55

I'm on the 2.4 GHz line. Yes, the laptop speed increases in proximity to the modem. ... Fair, steady performance from a different Arris. 30-35 Mbps wireless speeds.
    What speeds are you getting when the laptop is close? What setup did you have before? 30-35 was ok when they still had the 30mbps plans. It really depends on which Internet plan you have and your local region.

So an extender would not help? Would having my own modem and wireless router be a better solution? Can I disable this combo units wireless and use my own router?
    I doubt a range extender would help much, because you are still using the TG1672G as the base WAP. What kind of range extender are you talking about? Powerline?

You should be able to turn off DHCP on the TG1672G and use your own router.
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

You still didn't answer about which TWC plan you are using.

Range extender--hadn't settled on one until I found out if it would be worth while. I am on the 33 Mbps plan. I just can't believe my speeds are so low.
    Toolman55

The wired internet speeds are 250 Mbps (Win 7--self built 10 years ago)
    I am on the 33 Mbps plan.
    Then how are you getting 250 Mbps on your wired connection? Or did you mean 25?

If you are only on the 33Mbps plan, then I'm not sure why TWC "upgraded" your modem/router. Did you have an old DOSCIS 2.0 modem or something?

I would highly recommend that you buy your own router and modem. The modem leasing fee in my area is $10/mo. It would basically pay for itself in less than a year.
    This is the modem I usually recommend. Ironically, it's also an Arris, but only a modem.
    http://surfboard.com/products/sb6141/

If you're going to buy a new router too, I like the Netgear R7000 (or R6900 from Costco). TPLink's C8 and C9 are also good for the price. I'm not a fan of Belkin and Linksys got bought out by Belkin.

The Netgear R7000 made a world of difference for my daughter. It slams through walls and lead paint real good. The external antennas make a world of difference and the can be upgraded to higher dB antennas too.

Yup. The R7000 is a solid router. It's not the newest model out there, so the prices have come down (especially if you get the rebranded R6900 from Costco).

Most of the newer routers are overkill (AC2350+), unless you plan on upgrading your devices as well.

Thank you all for your advice. I have to do something soon because this is just unacceptable. Yes, I meant to type 300 Mbps plan. Sorry.

Thanks again,
    Don
    Toolman55

Are you guys talking about the Netgear Nighthawk?
    Toolman55

Yes, I meant to type 300 Mbps plan.
    Ah. If you have the 300Mbps plan, then you'd need to buy a higher model of modem. I'd go with the Arris SB6183.
    You still didn't say if you are leasing the modem or not.

To that point, you'd really need to get a better router. 802.11n maxes out at 150Mbps for single antenna connections. Your Hawking hwdn2 appears to be a single antenna 802.11n 2.4GHz adapter.

Your HP laptop says it has 802.11ac, but it doesn't list if it's single or dual antenna. Even if it has dual antennae, that would max out at 300Mbps on 2.4GHz.
    In order to get 300Mbps or more, you'd really need to use 802.11ac 5GHz.

Of course, those are theoretical maxes, so real world performance will be a bit lower.

Thread Information