Windows 7 Pro freezing with music CD in drive

Thread: Windows 7 Pro freezing with music CD in drive

Windows 7 Pro freezing with music CD in drive

I recently ran into a stickler that has me baffled. After the recent update to iTunes my computer started freezing. I thought iTunes was the problem but have since found out that if I have a music CD in my dvd drive and try and access it my computer freezes. I can disconnect my drive and ever thing works fine. I can add and external dvd drive connected thru the USB port and every thing works as well. It's only when I have my internal dvd drive connected with a music cd in the drive that it freezes. I've gone on to find out that any internal drive/cd inserted connected causes it to freeze, I had a few extra drives laying around and removing the current and adding the new and found I still had the same problem. I tried updating the drives firmware which didn't help.

I use to run a software called AnyDVD on my computer until it was discontinued. I can't find any trace of it left on my computer in the registry.

I forgot to mention, sudio cd's are not being recognized by the drives but computer software disk are.

Check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors that might indicate something with iTunes of the drives.

Nothings all seem connected to print services.

I have removed my DVD drives from my computer and I'm going to find my old external drive and try put one of them in there and see if it will connect and run from there.

That sounds like a driver issue. You haven't downloaded and installed any drivers from Microsoft Update for this computer have you? Are the internal CD/DVD drives SATA drives or PATA/IDE drives?

Link for the same issue with Windows 10, in case you want to check it out:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...92fc316?auth=1

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

Thanks jdc, that describes the problem better then I could thou I'm using Windows 7 pro. His motherboard is the same and I think it's even the same 2 drives thou I have 32gb G.skill ripsaw and a 1 TB Seagate HD.
    Last edited by Agent 0008; October 4th, 2016 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks again jdc, BINGO!! following the directions in the link you provided and downloading the JMicron driver all is well with my computer. I would have never thought of this as I had no idea that all my SATA ports were not controlled by the same AMD driver.

Thankls again, Agent

You lucked out on this one. Quite a few motherboards have multiple RAID or SATA controllers on them. Fortunately, someone else already had the same issue and figured out how to fix it.

Thanks for the update, glad you got it working.

Thread Information