hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)

Thread: hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)

Hybrid View

hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)

Hello,

It was a long time that I opened an old PC over here. As far as I know I could still use windows the former time years ago. But now it starts up only partly. I edited the setup but that's not the cause that the startup is incomplete. Sometimes the startup progresses a little bit furher and then I get the message "hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)".

I saw several threads in this forum about "hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)", even one from the year 2000.

Nowhere I had the impression that they were talking about a broken hard disk. But if I remember well I saw the same message on the screen of my laptop around the year 2006 and later also. As far as I remember the hard disk was broken and had to be replaced which has been done.

Please may I conclude from "hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)" that the disk is broken?

Thanks a lot.

Not necessarily. but I would try some of these first.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/hel...ail-80-108981/

Corroded pins in the ribbon has given me fits in the past.
    Where I learned to plug and unplug connectors 3 or 4 times as that tends to clean the contacts.

It worked only once. I plugged all 3-pinned plugs in and out several times. Then the first startup went together with sound existing in beep series all the time until a screen with the content of the hard disk appeared. I couldn't move over the directories with my cursor. The next times it was as before the in and out plugging. At most "hard disk(s) fail(s) (80)" reappeared.

The hard disk is well packed, I don't feel much for unpacking it.

3-pinned plugs ???
    Your hard drive data cable has a lot more than 3 pins on the connectors. Post the make and model of the computer. If this is a laptop, we should be able to provide directions on how to access the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Your hard drive data cable has a lot more than 3 pins on the connectors. Post the make and model of the computer. If this is a laptop, we should be able to provide directions on how to access the hard drive.
    It's a desktop.

See attachment for the 3-pinned plugs. There is a cable from the screen to the PC and from the PC to the outlet. The hard drive is built-in. It's just an ordinary model with screen placed upon a rather flat PC. I have a data cable to connect the printer. Further there is only another connector for the screen.

There is on different places "Made in Belgium"
    On the place with normally the brand there is "BMx computers"
    Built before 2002
    Inside on the ventilator there is SKY-HAWK model SH-230 W

In case you can only help with laptop apologize for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is the power cord.
    Being That old, it more than likely has a ide hdd.
    So open the case and see which setup in the link match

http://www.talktoanit.com/A+/aplus-w...-ide-sata.html

That is just the power cable. The cable we are referring to that might have corrosion built up on the pins is the hard drive's data cable that goes from the drive to the motherboard. To access that cable and unplug it and plug it back in, you will need to open the case.

The Sky-Hawk SH-230w is the make and model of the power supply unit for the computer, but it doesn't help us identify the actual computer model. BMX Computers is the maker of the computer, but there should be a model number on the box somewhere as well. If we had that model number, we might be able to give you some instructions on how to find the cable you need to check.

Thread Information