Major Changes are coming for Firefox 52, 53, and 57 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major Changes are coming for Firefox 52, 53, and 57

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Another question on FF upgrade. On my desktop the other day when Midknyte announced a new update to 55, my FF on that computer is 54.01 and when I checked update, it said I had the latest. Why's that?

Firefox updates usually get pushed out gradually, so it might take a few days before you see the update.

You can also look at these settings:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/13/wh...automatically/

If you want to update immediately, just download the installer and update manually.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...irefox-Updates

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Thanks for the answer. I won't be able to update the desktop until I get the new heatsink and can get that computer back up and running. I suppose by then the update will be available through FF's settings.

ESR 52 won't break your extensions, which many folks are finding that 55 does. I'm also experimenting with Waterfox (64), which is identical to FF 32 and uses a copy of your FF profile. Their blog says they'll be keeping the XUL extensions and GUI customizations. The minus side is that it's not a Mozilla product, but maybe that's also a plus, considering how much Mz cares about what we want.

And it's not getting much support on Mozillazine:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42

While SeaMonkey has an entire section:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/
    Last edited by foxy; August 29th, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I don't see the point in using Waterfox (or any other FF clones), since it's still Firefox under the hood. The current version of Waterfox is 55.0.2, which is one version behind FF. I'd stick with with ESR for now.

As I've mentioned in another thread, you cannot migrate your profile from FF55 to FFESR52. You'd need to use a clean profile for that.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...irefox-Updates

Pale Moon has a bigger following than Waterfox, but that uses an older build of FF.

I didn't migrate my profile from 55 to ESR52. I went from 52 to ESR52. There will be a string of members in this thread looking for their alternatives, and I'm providing some options. On Mozillazine, this topic already runs 11 pages in one thread and 33 pages in another.

I'm just scoping out Waterfox now. You hit the nail on the head. The point of using Waterfox will be, after ESR goes over to the Dark Side, that it's FF under the hood.
    Last edited by foxy; August 30th, 2017 at 03:06 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just saying that for anyone else reading this thread.

I'm just looking at Waterfox now. You hit the nail on the head. The point of using Waterfox will be, some time next year, that it's FF under the hood.
    I haven't see any of the proposed Waterfox ESR builds yet, so I think it's way too soon. We'll just have to wait and see, but it probably won't be until next year.

Some folks are thinking of it as if Mz is murdering their child. It's amusing to the see the threats, hysteria and accusations that are going on. Mozillazine is getting its share because many folks think they're Mozilla, but no death threats yet. Thankgoddess no such hysteria here...yet.

(Sorry about the misinformation I posted at the beginning of the thread. Forum doesn't allow edits after a certain amount of time.)
    Last edited by foxy; August 30th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.

Unfortunately, Mozilla has decided that the current idea of constant updates with new bling-bling and eye-candy is the way to go, rather than focusing on stability and usability. Their current market share reflects the fact that annoying their users is not the way to increase their numbers.

Linux users are fussing about the single cores not being able use the latest versions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Unfortunately, Mozilla has decided that the current idea of constant updates with new bling-bling and eye-candy is the way to go, rather than focusing on stability and usability. Their current market share reflects the fact that annoying their users is not the way to increase their numbers.
    If they're giving it away for free, why do the numbers matter?

Where's the new eye candy?
    Last edited by foxy; August 31st, 2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    If they're giving it away for free, why do the numbers matter?
    If their share of users drops, so does their revenue.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...make-money.asp

Where's the new eye candy?
    Eye candy is in the eye of the beholder. Mozilla execs think they have some. Users, maybe not so much.

Didn't know it has a built-in search engine. I do mine from bookmarks.

They're taking a risk. I hope they lose their shirts.
    Last edited by foxy; August 31st, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks. I lied. I hope they DON'T lose their shirts.

I'm not that familiar with mobile, having a flip-phone, but it's obvious on desktops: Most people use Google for search, so Chrome is a brand they know. Or they use IE because it came with their computer. And they use Facebook because "everyone else does."

I don't mind being in the minority, where I usually am on everything else too. But is Firefox still as safe as it was years ago?
    Last edited by foxy; September 5th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.

Thread Information