Digital Audio and 1394 questions

Thread: Digital Audio and 1394 questions

Digital Audio and 1394 questions

I already have speakers. Is it worth it to buy devices for these inputs? Is the orange the digital input for the SPDIF OUT? What devices can I buy to plug into these two?

Also, I usually use USB. Is 1394 a firewire and is there anything worth using it with since my motherboard supplies them?

Thank You

Hmmm... what happened to my "insert image"?
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Both are digital outputs for audio. SPDIF is generally used for home/consumer use and Firewire (1394) is more common in pro applications although USB 3 is taking over for that.

In a home theater/stereo pretty much all modern amps and receivers have a SPDIF capable input. If you want to hook your computer up to a good pair of hifi speakers of the type you'd find in a home theater system that's the way to do it but if you're using a 10 - 50 dollar (ish) pair of desk top speakers and are happy with that then there's no reason to think about digital output.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Hi Fink,

Thanks for your response. I have attached the image in case if it changes your input.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll9mnu3q3a...1959a.png?dl=0

Also, how do I upload a jpg or png and insert as an image for this site? I have to upload to dropbox and provide a link.

Thanks
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 28th, 2016 at 11:44 PM.

Is the orange the input and the SPDIF OUT is the output that goes into the speakers?

Neither of those outputs go to the speakers. They are meant to plug into an amplifier that's capable of converting a digital signal to an analog one to be able to power the speakers via amplification. Now it's possible there may be one or two esoteric computer speakers on the market that have both a SPDIF input AND an amplifier with a digital to analog converter built in but they'd be pretty expensive if they did exist.

Those are both SPDIF outputs.. just different jacks that do the same job. One is for a standard rca cable and the other is for a fiber optic cable.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/every...-connection/5/

To upload an image click the little square insert image icon with what may be a tree above the reply window and either upload a pic from your computer or put a URL in the window that appears when you click "from URL". You would get the URL from right clicking an online picture and selecting "copy image location" then pasting it into the URL window.

Thank you Fink. Have Good night.

BB code
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

That is how I am able to link in your graphic using the img code.

Thanks Train

Thread Information