Software Diagnostic tool - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Software Diagnostic tool

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Speed View Post

Train, since my drives are encrypted, when moving large files, it can get up between 70-85c.
    That explains the trouble to me. At 60 C, I hit the panic button. And why when I lived in the Seattle area, I HAD to clean out the dust and junk every three weeks. Washington state coast, twice a year was enough. But here, once a year is over kill.

Just checked the old desktop, 18 C idling and 48C under a good load.
    Not the first case I have added fans to either. Mods, if done right can pay off nicely!
    Mods means modifications in this case.

This works

70-85C? Yikes, that is hot. Sounds like your CPU is working extra hard to encrypt the files.

Oh, I thought 70-85c is normal for gamers (not that I am a gamer). It idles at 40c in the summer and it idles at 31c in the winter.

What can I do to lower it? The case is wide open.

Thank you
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 28th, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

After thinking about it, it might be or might not be the CPU.

Usually, when it freezes, it usually happens minutes after waking up from SLEEP which means the CPU is at room temperature and not over heated.

However, after the cleaning of the fan, it has not crashed.

Uh, other than not using encryption on the full drive? You didn't say which encryption you are using; you only mentioned a couple of names.
    Did you look at Task Manager to see which processes are running during the copy?

You didn't give the system specs like CPU and MB. A faster CPU might help with load, but it'll still get hot eventually.

You can try changing the airflow in the case, like Train suggested.

Here is the system specification:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core BX80601930

Patriot Viper Xtreme 12GB(3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000(PC3 16000) PX7312G2000ELK (24 GB Total)

SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5 120GB SATA III
    Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue SSC-D0064SC-2100 2.5 64GB SATA II MLC

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

I am using Veracrypt.

My air exchange is almost identical to what Train has posted.

When it freezes, it is not during the copy but randomly during the wakeup from sleep.

Ok, that seems like a solid setup. I still think you should look at the CPU loads. 70-85C is really high.

Have you checked the Veracrypt forums for freezing issues?
    https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/

I still think you should look at the CPU loads.
    I agree with that and do not be surprised if task manager does not open up real quickly. Go get a cup of coffee, tea. As something is really throwing a load on it when coming out of sleep mode.

At those temps and starting before it even gets that hot, the cpu is slowed down and I mean a crawl is faster.

Coming out of sleep, you now know why I refuse to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I still think you should look at the CPU loads. 70-85C is really high.
    Do I review the CPU loads in Task Manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Have you checked the Veracrypt forums for freezing issues?
    https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/
    Thanks for the link but I have looked at their forum already.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    As something is really throwing a load on it when coming out of sleep mode.

At those temps and starting before it even gets that hot, the cpu is slowed down and I mean a crawl is faster.

Coming out of sleep, you now know why I refuse to use it.
    It is not just after SLEEP that it freezes. Sometimes right after a fresh reboot. So out of 10 times, it would freeze 5 times after waking up from sleep and 2 times after reboot. Today is day 4 that it has not freeze.

Thank you

Googled - check cpu load in task manager - About 4,600,000 results (0.44 seconds)
    https://www.google.com/#q=check+cpu+...n+task+manager
    That is for windows, now for Linux it is htop
    check cpu usage in ubuntu
    https://www.google.com/#q=check+cpu+usage+in+ubuntu

It is not just after SLEEP that it freezes. Sometimes right after a fresh reboot. So out of 10 times, it would freeze 5 times after waking up from sleep and 2 times after reboot. Today is day 4 that it has not freeze.
    Something is corrupted in the ram and does not have time enough for it to disappear. Shut it down, wait 30 seconds minimum, then reboot. Learned that trick back in 98 and it still works in Win 10. And is one of the reasons I do NOT use hibernation or Sleep.

But as you have gotten rid of the overheating problem, it seems you have gotten rid of the problem of the flipped data bits that was causing the lock ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Googled - check cpu load in task manager - About 4,600,000 results (0.44 seconds)
    https://www.google.com/#q=check+cpu+...n+task+manager
    OK, thanks. I thought it was something special that I had to do to check for CPU Load.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Speed View Post
    Second, I have removed the CPU fan and CPU. I have cleaned both and reapplied thermal paste. After doing so, I noticed that when starting the computer, the fan comes on really strong (like full speed) but then gets adjusted and go to normal speed. It used to do this only at the beginning when I bought this Zalman fan years ago. I don't want to knock on wood or be happy too soon but since doing this, my PC has not crashed for 3 days.
    Update: Tomorrow will be day 7 that it has been crashed "free".

So why would cleaning the CPU fan make the fan started up normally (reviving up on start up and adjust to normal)? For the last 3 years, when I turn on or wake up my computer, the fan would just start but never rev up and adjust. Something about this seems to have fixed (knock on wood) the freeze problem which means it was a hardware issue. Could this still be a PSU issue? Could the dust clinged to the base of the fan, produced static?

If not enough air is pushed through the psu, things overheat, maybe a airpocket developed in the thermo paste.
    I use q-tips and 90% alcohol to clean the fan blades. Having worked with a cfm meter, I can say it does not take much build up to cut the air flow by 25%.

For the last 3 years,
    Good length of time for factory thermo paste to last, but as you found out, it has to be replaced once in a while. So that is nothing new as most of us have had to do that multiple times.

Case fans, be darn sure they move enough cfm to cool things the way you want them And quite enough too.

Example
    fan kicks out 252 cubic feet of air every minute - one fan can cool an entire system with ease. Of course, at 66.5 dBA, it is hardly quiet
    Even being deaf that 66.5 dBA noise would drive me nuts.
    Plus get the air moving fast enough and you WILL hear it. Lessons learned!!!

Forgot this for a bit:
    Side panel fans, you have to experiment to find out if blowing or out is the cooler option.

Thread Information