Software Diagnostic tool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Software Diagnostic tool

Software Diagnostic tool

My PC has been freezing as some of you folks already know. Upon waking up from SLEEP or a fresh rebooting, it will freeze within the first 5 minutes. If it is able to get pass the 5-10 minutes time frame, it will run fine. A clean install of Windows 7 or Windows 10 resulted in the same freezing. Even when applications have not been launched, it freezes. It made me more incline that it is a hardware issue.

I went to Frys today to get a PSU. Instead, they recommended me to download a "S.M.A.R.T Check" tool to diagnose the system before replacing anything. That made sense.

Can you recommend a software to diagnose my hardware (Motherboard, CPU, SSD, HD, RAM, PSU, Video Card, Audio Card, etc...)

I have used UBCD to rule out that is not the RAM.

Has anyone used the window version of UBCD?
    http://www.windows7download.com/win7.../gcvmqjdj.html

Otherwise, feel free to share.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

I also have one of those PSU checking device. Has anyone used it and does it work? Maybe I should use it and check the volts. If it is a PSU issue, then the Window would not work at all right? This is randomly freezing within the first 5 minutes after Windows launched. Again, if passed that time frame, then everything is OK.

UBCD4Win is a COMPLETELY different project and it's really old (XP-based). Yes, I've used it before and it takes time to customize and build. It's not a one-shot .iso like UBCD5.

The PSU tools usually just check for the voltage. That doesn't guarantee that it's totally stable. That's why I swap out the PSU.

S.M.A.R.T is specifically for hard disks.

I won't waste my time with UBCD4Win if that is the case. Thanks for preventing me to chase my tail.

I did buy a PSU: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...V_Power_Supply

They also have these in the $95 range:
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...+4294850861+38
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 25th, 2016 at 04:24 AM.

BTW... Midknyte, I just installed CrystalDiskInfo to check the status of the SSDs and HDs. Is there any function in the application that I need to run? All it say is "Good" for each of the drive.

Nope. It'll either say Good or Bad.
    https://www.pcsteps.com/2530-predict...tal-disk-info/

If you still want to scan the SSD, you'd need to run the manufacturer's diags from their SSD tools. Again, few if any are bootable.

Hi Midknyte,

Here is an update. I have bought a new PSU but still have not installed it yet. Two things I did:

First, when the computer freezes, it is during a copy of a dvd data to the hard drive. When it comes to software, I can think of a few applications that are getting in the way, such as truecrypt, veracrypt, etc... When it comes to hardware, what can it be?

Second, I have removed the CPU fan and CPU. I have cleaned both and reapplied thermal paste. After doing so, I noticed that when starting the computer, the fan comes on really strong (like full speed) but then gets adjusted and go to normal speed. It used to do this only at the beginning when I bought this Zalman fan years ago. I don't want to knock on wood or be happy too soon but since doing this, my PC has not crashed for 3 days.

Your thoughts please??

Thanks

For hardware, it's the anything involved with the process. DVD > DVD drive > Motherboard/PSU > Hard drive and cables.

I'm sure encryption is not helping matters there. Did you test without encryption?

Second, I have removed the CPU fan and CPU. I have cleaned both and reapplied thermal paste. After doing so, I noticed that when starting the computer, the fan comes on really strong (like full speed) but then gets adjusted and go to normal speed.
    That's pretty normal. My computers do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    For hardware, it's the anything involved with the process. DVD > DVD drive > Motherboard/PSU > Hard drive and cables.
    What about CPU and RAM? Can the cleaning of the CPU helped with the stability?

I'm sure encryption is not helping matters there. Did you test without encryption?
    Kind of. When I installed a clean copy of Windows 10, the OS partition/drive was not encrypted. However, the personal data drive was.

What about CPU and RAM? Can the cleaning of the CPU helped with the stability?
    Those too. But didn't you do a memory test? Cleaning will help if the CPU was overheating.

the OS partition/drive was not encrypted. However, the personal data drive was.
    Well, that's not a true test then. Were you writing to the personal data drive?

Yes, RAM test passed and I have been using RealTemp for years to monitor overheating. No signs of overheating.

I was not copy/cut/paste any files from/to the personal data drive. It was just plugged in. I bought two of these about 4 years ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820250001

The first one died the first year. The second one is still functioning. I use it as my data drive when I am doing video/audio monitoring.

I also have a regular HD that is encrypted and I think it was plugged in at the time. That drive is for storage.

Anyway, thank you. I am going back and do more testings. So far, no crashes for the last 3 days. Have a good night Midknyte.

If the cpu gets hot enough to flip data bits, all kinds of weird things can happen. Usually about 65-68 C is when that takes place.

That's pretty normal. My computers do that too.
    the thing is, it hasn't done that for a long while. I guess why would replying thermal paste makes the cpu fan acts normal with the fan revving up on stay and adjust to normal. So far, no more crashes.

Train, since my drives are encrypted, when moving large files, it can get up between 70-85c.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 28th, 2016 at 09:01 AM.

Do you have any fans for cooling the drives?

Hi jdc, for the hard drives and SSDs, yes. I have two direct fans (120mm) for them.

When I took the cpu fan (zalman) off, I did notice heavy dirt build up at the base, not on the fins.

Thread Information