Laptop boots into Safe Mode, hangs at "Starting Windows"

Thread: Laptop boots into Safe Mode, hangs at "Starting Windows"

Laptop boots into Safe Mode, hangs at "Starting Windows"

I have a laptop that hangs at "Starting Windows" when booting normally, but that will boot into Safe Mode just fine.

I've tried:

-letting Startup Repair run
    -disabling all non-microsoft startup programs/services
    -running System Restore
    -running the bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot commands via the repair command prompt
    -Cloning to an SSD (not really a troubleshooting step; just did it to improve performance and save the original drive in case I messed up something while trying to fix it)

I've also tried running a chkdsk, but it reads "volume is clean" and then freezes.

I'd like to be able to fix it without the hassle of a wipe/reinstall, but it seems an unlikely proposition at this point. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

You're not supposed to run chkdsk /r on an SSD, since it's not a physical disk. You didn't say which switches you used.

Did you look at the Event Viewer while in Safe Mode?

What changes were made recently?

Did you run any hardware diags like Memtest or a hard drive diag? What is the make/model of the laptop?

It's a HP Envy15 laptop.

The chkdsk I initiated via windows with the two options for "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

Event Viewer doesn't seem to be catching anything because it locks up before starting windows

As far as changes, there hasn't been any new hardware installed that I know of, and no new programs either.

And no errors reported from Memtest or Seatools.

The chkdsk I initiated via windows
    I don't like to run disk utilities from Windows. If anything, you'd uncheck "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" for SSDs. Preferably, you'd run it from a boot disc.

How long are you waiting at the "Starting Windows" screen?
    Have you installed Windows Updates? If so, try a System Restore to before 9/13 (Update Tuesday).
    Did you try updating your drivers?
    Are there any USB or other external devices connected? If so, disconnect them.

No USB devices to disconnect on this one.

I think we may have dialed in on the problem: I had previously let it sit loading windows for about 20 minutes, but upon trying to reproduce that for this thread, I found it shut itself off and when I powered it back on, it reported a system temperature warning. And it is unusually hot on the underside.

I hadn't noticed it before because it didn't heat up at all under Safe Mode. My guess is possibly a problem with the video card, but I'll try updating the drivers to see if that helps.

You might want to blow out the vents with some canned air too.

Do you have a more specific model number? It looks like there are several different Envy 15s.

That's what I'm thinking, yes.

It's an HP ENVY 15-3040NR

I blew out some sizeable chunks of dust from the interior fans and now it doesn't appear to be overheating (or at least not in the 25 minutes I let it attempt to boot, but still no actual booting into windows. I definitely feel heat building up enough that I can feel an unusual amount through the top of the keyboard, but it hasn't shut itself down.

I'm trying it without the battery installed because I've occasionally seen bad batteries wreak havoc on, but it's been almost half an hour and still no change.

Hmm. Did you remove the cover before blowing it out? It doesn't look too difficult to open.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy...w.72051.0.html

You might also try raising the rear of the laptop to allow for more airflow to the intakes.

Rewinding a bit. This issue happened with your old HD, and then you cloned that drive to SSD? What software did you use to clone the drive?

I used Acronis to clone the disk over to the SSD.

I was able to get the back panel off for the cleaning. I got several clumps out from between the fan and vents, along with some out from between the blades of the fans.

And no change upon elevating the back portion of the laptop.

What version of Acronis (True Image)? You need to have TI2011 or newer for SSDs.

-Cloning to an SSD (not really a troubleshooting step; just did it to improve performance and save the original drive in case I messed up something while trying to fix it)
    The way I understand that is you had problems while the HD was still installed. If so, then cloning it to SSD could have just carried over the problem.

My guess is possibly a problem with the video card, but I'll try updating the drivers to see if that helps.
    So did you update the drivers or not?

Thread Information