Speed tweaks and other questions...

Thread: Speed tweaks and other questions...

Speed tweaks and other questions...

I am a big fan of Windows 7. I finally decided to move to Windows 10 a few days ago. I don't like the huge detail panel in Windows Explorer.

Anyway, it seems it takes at least 3 to 4 seconds longer to launch applications. Is there a speed tweak for this?

I have a Hauppauge usb tv device. I notice when moving the wintv window, it flickers when I am watching the news. All updated software and drivers have installed. Cyberlink and pots player work fine.

Also most of my vbscripts failed but I was able to correct that by "elevate" the scripts. The script that pins shortcuts to the taskbar still does not work because Windows 10 has taken out the verbs to pin.

It also seems that everything has to be run as administrator even though I have local administrator.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Was this an upgrade or a clean install?

You could try setting a static page file. That supposedly helped some people.
    https://fossbytes.com/how-to-fix-slo...-system-speed/

So you updated the video drivers and the Hauppauge software? Did you check Hauppauge support about Win10? You didn't say which tv device you have or what version of software you are using.

It also seems that everything has to be run as administrator even though I have local administrator.
    Yup. That's how it is with Win10. You can try this:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/always-r...in-windows-10/

It was a clean install Midknyte.

Thanks for the "fossbytes" link. However, I think it is not a memory problem because I have 24 gb. I was told to turn off "page filing" since I have 24 gb of memory and a SSD. I have been using it like this for the last 5 years on Windows 7. Should I turn it back on?

As for the device: WinTV-HVR-950Q
    http://hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr950q.html
    http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr955q.html
    Maybe I have to update the driver too. I have only updated the WinTV because I think it also contains the driver.

The CNET link that you provided is helpful. I actually have a script to add all of my "heavy usage" applications to the registry in the elevated area.
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    Also:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vb...uac-elevation/
    http://superuser.com/questions/61810...hrough-vbscrip
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 20th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Even if you have a lot of RAM and an SSD, I think you should still have a pagefile, if only a small one. This is a common topic of debate.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/199990/shou...-a-lot-of-ram/

You should at least try creating the pagefile and see what happens.

I'm not too familiar with Hauppauge devices, so it would be better to check with their support. Usually drivers are a separate install from the application, but maybe they are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You should at least try creating the pagefile and see what happens.
    Will do and I will keep you posted. BTW... that is a really good explanation from the link that you provided.

Falcon,
    I have a Hauppauge 950 (not sure about the Q at the end).
    I'm running Windows 10 Home on an Acer Aspire V5 573p-6896 Laptop
    This Laptop has an Intel i5 Processor at 1.6GHz - 2.3GHz
    It also has a Crucial 256gb mSATA SSD for the OS and Office Package, it then had a 500gb Western Digital 7200rpm Hard Drive for Programs and Storage!
    Finally I have 12gb of G.Skill DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop M

I only have the Hauppauge 950 hooked up to the HD Antenna that came with the Tuner.
    I have WinTV v7 installed on this Laptop and yes, I do notice some flickering when moving the Window.
    I'm not sure if the Software is Up to Date or not, I believe it installed a newer version than the one I had when I installed it on this computer with a fresh copy of Windows 10.
    The Flickering is minor and only happens while moving the window, to me it's no big deal!
    If I remember right I had problems with the Flickering with Windows 8 & 8.1 installed on this computer (it never had Windows 7 installed on it).

I do have a Hauppauge HVR-1600 Tuner on my Desktop Computer, it has Cable Hooked up to it.
    This computer also has Windows 10, but it's the Professional Version.
    Not sure of the version of WinTV that is on this computer.
    This computer is an AMD Phenom II x4 940 Quad Core at @3.0GHz
    There is 1 x 500gb Hard Drive for the OS and Programs & 2 x 1TB Hard Drives for Storage (all Seagate 7200rpm)
    I only have 8gb of G.Skill DDR2 1066 PC2 8500* 5-5-5-15

I'm not sure if this Flickers when moving the window or not?
    Haven't really used this computer in a while.

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional
    MS Office 365 Family
    Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse

BugsPop, thank you for taking the time to share all of that information so that I can relate. Yeah, on Windows 7, it works flawlessly.

I have a MSDN account and I have installed different builds of Windows 10 Enterprise. This USB Capture flickers on all of them. I agree with you. It is no biggie but it is just there so it makes me think whether the device is functioning at its full potential.

I am going to contact Hauppauge and ask them. The only reason I like Hauppauge is because WinTV software is very good!

I had the Hauppauge 2250 card but I noticed the internal card burns out much quicker than the USB. I think I also have owned the 1600 card as well and that did not last long either. The USB has lasted for almost 4-5 years. It gets hot hot hot! I connect mine to a winegard flat antenna that I bought from Costco. I get more channels this way.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-...000H/203972854

My Hauppauge HVR-1600 and HVR-950 both work flawlessly and have for many years (around 8yrs).
    Can't say that I use either of them a lot as may others do.

I know I have WinTV v7 installed on all three, my Desktop and my Laptops.
    There is a WinTV v7.2 available, it lets you send a WiFi Signal to devices like Tablets, iPads, Smartphones, etc...
    There is also a WinTV v8 available. On both v7.2 and v8 it would cost me $9.95 to upgrade (just not that Important to me for that Tiny Flicker).

If you click on the Asterisk in the Lower Left Corner of WinTV you will see a Check for Updates Button on the General Tab.
    Maybe your Hauppauge USB being newer, you won't have to pay for the upgrade?

I don't remember the Model Number but I just Purchased and Setup a Hauppauge USB TV on a mans computer at the
    nursing home my mother is at.
    He wanted his own TV, but his roommate already has the shelf for a TV occupied with his TV.
    Allan says the guy never uses his TV, but the man won't let Allan use it either.
    He also won't remove the TV from the room so Allan could use it for his own TV.
    The Nursing Home won't allow Allan to hang a TV on the wall either!

Allan asked me one day if there was a way he could get TV on his Laptop.
    I told him yes, then he had me purchase the device for him.
    His is the one with the Dual Tuner, not sure if it Flickers when moved or not, but I think he has WinTV v8 that is made for
    Windows 10 (just found it after a bit of searching, Hauppauge says WinTV v7 is compatible with Windows 10).
    Won't see him again until next week, I cold ask him then.

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional
    MS Office 365 Family
    Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by bugspop1 View Post
    There is also a WinTV v8 available. On both v7.2 and v8 it would cost me $9.95 to upgrade (just not that Important to me for that Tiny Flicker).
    I was able to download WinTV v8 for free a while back when they first released it. Personally, I found it to be buggy and not as stable as v7.

BTW... It is really nice of you what you did for Allan. I fixed most of the computers for the Senior Citizens on my street too.

Bugs, if you need WinTV v8, here is an official free copy from Hauppauge:

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw...etup_34245.exe
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...rt_wintv8.html

Sometimes the download works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the time of the day that you download.

The CD costs money, not the download. If you have the original WinTV 7 CD, this version will ask for it during installation.

The latest version 8 is much better than the first release of version 8 (last year).
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; October 3rd, 2016 at 01:39 PM.

Thread Information