[RESOLVED] sfc /scannow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] sfc /scannow

Resolved [RESOLVED] sfc /scannow

I've run this very seldom, but there's something wrong that I need to diagnose. Already ran Windiag (or is it WDDiag?) and Memtest. Can I run sfc from Run or does it have to be a command prompt? I have the i368 folder in C:\Win.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Run should do it.

What problems are you having? I would run a hard drive diag before I ran sfc. If the hard drive is failing, there's no sense in running sfc.

I've already run the HD diag and it's clean, so is Memtest. Every few days I get a period where right-click takes forever, and Firefox and Windows functions give me "not responding." Deleting a file also is very slow. Then it goes back to normal. I have 4 GB RAM now, so it's not that.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd check Event Viewer and see if there are any errors also.

Next time it happens, I'll post the error message.

I found this linked from another Vdr post. Why does it ask me here to move the folder from Win\ to C:\ ?

http://hhicomputerguys.blogspot.com/...-cd-using.html
    Last edited by foxy; August 30th, 2016 at 11:45 PM.

If you want to set it to Win\i386, you'd need to set the default path to C:\Win instead of C:\. I haven't tried that, but that's basically what the link you posted is saying.

I already had it in Win. It told me to move it to C:\

"Type regedit in the run box from the start menu then set the registry setting for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\
    SourcePath and set it equal to C:\"

It didn't ask for a path, but my CD. I put it in, and it's telling me I have the wrong one
    Last edited by foxy; August 31st, 2016 at 11:14 PM.

(can't edit)

I don't have SP3 on my CD. How do I point the program to 1386?

"Type regedit in the run box from the start menu then set the registry setting for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\
    SourcePath and set it equal to C:\"
    Like I said, you could try setting the registry to C:\Win instead of C:\. That should set the default path as C:\Win\i386

You could create a slipstreamed SP3 disc, but you'd need to have SP3 already downloaded.
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...ce_Pack_3.html

(Can't edit.) Only the first 2 jpgs apply.

I moved the folder back into Win and corrected the registry again. It's still asking for the disk. I failed Slipstreaming 101 some time ago, and I'd rather not do it again.

I failed Slipstreaming 101 some time ago, and I'd rather not do it again.
    Then were did you get the i386 files from? If it's not from a SP3 disc, then that's probably the issue.

Those errors are pointing to your network card. Did you reload and/or update the NIC drivers? I don't see how sfc would help that issue.

"Windows XP Icon Cache

Are you experiencing icon lag, while browsing thru all your Start icons and programs? Do you have a smaller menu delay and your icons need ages to load? No need to give up.

Just delete the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data)."
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Then were did you get the i386 files from? If it's not from a SP3 disc, then that's probably the issue.

Those errors are pointing to your network card. Did you reload and/or update the NIC drivers? I don't see how sfc would help that issue.
    I didn't replace the NIC drivers, but now and then I lose connectivity. Those errors are not necessarily related to my problem, they're just what I found for that time period.

I have a separate SP3 disk, that I installed over Windows.

Thread Information