Asking Impossible - Windows/Browsers instead of Webpages in Preview?

Thread: Asking Impossible - Windows/Browsers instead of Webpages in Preview?

Asking Impossible - Windows/Browsers instead of Webpages in Preview?

I suspect I'm just being too picky, but I don't like the way Win-10 shows a single instance of the Browser on the Task Bar, then when you mouse over a preview of all the open webpages pops up.

I organize my browsing by instances of the Browser being open, not on the webpages themselves. I find this webpage preview to be very cluttered, as I sometime have 2 or 3 windows (instances of the Browser) open, but each instances is for a specific purpose. I need to move between Windows or instances of the Browser being open. Seeing, 10 or 20 webpages in a preview is just too cluttered. Plus, once the TAB count reaches a certain level, you don't see the preview, just a list of open Tabs (or webpages).

So ...hope against hope ...is there any way to control that open browser TAB preview. I would prefer to set it to instances of open Browsers rather than instances of open webpages (TABS).

I typically know what I have in each instance of an open Browser, so a Browser open list is more valuable and compact than a long list of 20 webpages with no distinction regarding which Browse each webpage is open in.

The Webpage preview is pretty fast, but it is just too cluttered.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from Win-XP, each instance of the Browser was a separate tab on the Task Bar. So moving from open Browser to open Browser was easy.

Though of low interest to those viewing, here is how I might organize my instances of open Browsers 1.) Audio Discussion Group 2.) Product Search 3.) General Research. I might have 5 or more (usually more) TABS open in each of these browsers. My more common need it so move between Browsers not between Webpages.

Hope against hope.

Is there any way to change the Preview? Even if I could enhance the distinction between Browsers, identifying which webpages were open in which browser, that would be a help.

So, any configuration options on this, or am I just stuck with it the way it is?

Thanks for any comment one way or the other.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited by boyblue; August 28th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.

Which browser are you talking about? I'm assuming either Edge or IE11.

Sounds like you want to disable individual tab previews:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

Keep in mind, I'm coming from Win-XP
    Did you use any OSes in between (Win7, 8, etc)? This is not a new feature in Win10.

Seamonky 2.40 but I'm pretty sure this preview feature is an aspect of Windows and not Seamonkey. (Also, Firefox 47.0.1)

I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks.

Steve

OS -

No, I've been happy with Win-XP, and still am, but with HTML-5, I was having trouble displaying some content on webpages. So, I bought a new Dell 3650 with Win-10 installed.

Still, thanks for the post. Sorry, I would have included all those details in my original post.

Steve/bluewizrad

I'm also exploring using multiple virtual Desktops to accomplish what I want. That will probably work, I just need to remember to create a new Desktop rather than simply opening a new Browser window, and then I need to remember to close all those open Desktops at the end. Though I think there will be an element of out of sight out of mind, so easy to forget those other Open Browsers.

I'm VERY new to Window-10, I'm coming up on my second week of using it, so all the details and options are a bit unclear. But, I think in time, I'll get it worked out.

Steve/bluewizard

Found it. If you Right-Click on the Taskbar and select Properties. One of the Property options is Taskbar Buttons. If you change Taskbar Buttons to "Combine when the Teskbar is full", it will show each instance of a browser in the Taskbar until you have so many applications open that the Taskbar can no longer hold them.

Here is a link that explains what I did -

http://www.howtogeek.com/225568/how-...in-windows-10/

About 1/3rd of the way down.

Thanks to all who read this and pondered solutions on my behalf.

Steve/bluewizard

Ah ok. That's what you meant. Again, that feature is not new to Win10. I suspect you will run into a lot of these issues, because you are jumping from XP to 10.

There is also a registry hack if you want to never combine AND hide labels:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/never-...ows-7-taskbar/

Does EDITING get shut off after a while? I was going to mark the original post RESOLVED, but the EDIT button is gone?

Thanks again to all who helped. I will check out the MyDigitalLife link provided.

It is actually working well now. I get the individual Browsers in the Taskbar, but when I mouse over any one browser, I get previews of the TABS open in that one Browser, so I think I'm happy with the results.

Steve/bluewizard

Yes, there is a time limit to editing. It's better to just create a new post. It's harder for us to backtrack if you change old posts.

I get the individual Browsers in the Taskbar, but when I mouse over any one browser, I get previews of the TABS open in that one Browser, so I think I'm happy with the results.
    That's what my link in post#2 was about.

Must have missed it, sorry.

I also notice that while I have individual browsers in the Taskbar, when I hover, the full open TAB/Window preview comes up. But the Tab/Windows will change color to indicate which Taskbar Browser they belong with.

I think once I get used to this. I'm going to like it. I really get the best of both worlds. I get individual Browsers in the Taskbar, but I also get the all windows open preview, with an indication of which open browse page goes with which browser.

Again, sorry I missed your point in that link. I'm sure I did look at it, but I don't think what it was telling me was sinking in. Thanks for your help.

Steve/bluewizard

Thread Information