Nothing is muted in the Mixer
    This device is working properly
    Default driver is set correctly
    Driver dialog shows levels on the meter

Any suggestions?

Thanks - rev

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    On what computer? and which speakers? We need more info Rev or we can't help you.

ASUS P6T
    No speakers, I'm going through a MOTU audio interface. No levels there either, so the sound is not getting out of the computer.
    I've tried reinstalling the driver but nothing changes

Sound works perfectly for Sonar (DAW) but that uses a different driver

Are you sure you set the correct playback device as the default?
    Right-click on the speaker icon in the systray, click Playback devices
    Make sure the correct device is set to default

Ah. You posted while I was typing.

Default driver is set correctly
    Driver dialog shows levels on the meter

Not the default driver, the default audio device.
    http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-c...g-audio-device

The default audio device is correctly selected. It shows levels on the meter, it thinks it's working, but I get no sound.
    No other audio device is listed even though I have a digital audio workstation that uses a completely different driver (which is working properly).

This sounds more complicated than a standard audio setup. What is the exact model of your MOTU?

MOTU Traveler, the old one, it's obsolete now but it uses the one size fits all firewire driver. It's not even listed under Playback Devices but everything is working perfectly. It's the Realtek system driver that's not working, even though it shows levels on the Sound dialog.

I have a feeling that the MOTU driver was the default for everything in the past. The problem started when I installed a demo of Digital Performer (MOTU's DAW software), I didn't like it, I uninstalled it and all sound went to hell. Only one 'Generic Low Latency MOTU driver' was present and all track assignments in my digital audio projects were thrown off. I got all the MOTU INs and OUTs working again by disabling the 'Generic Low Latency MOTU driver.' Uninstalling it only resulted in a reinstall on bootup, but they never showed up under Sound.

That's when I discovered there were no system sounds. I think all would be well if I could get the MOTU INs and OUTs to show up under Sound because the Analog OUT 1-2 would be fine for both Sonar and system sounds - so maybe that's the way to approach this. How do I get the MOTU stuff to show up under Sound?

Why do you think the Realtek driver is not working? Did you try it with normal headphones or speakers?

That looks like a very specialized piece of hardware. Did you check if MOTU has a support forum? I'm not sure if anyone here has ever dealt with one of those.

Did you try a system restore to before you installed the Digital Performer software?

>Why do you think the Realtek driver is not working?
    Because there isn't any sound through the equipment I've been using for 10 years.

>Did you try it with normal headphones or speakers?
    It may be working that way but I've never used it that way and don't intend to start.

>Did you check if MOTU has a support forum?
    I checked with MOTU support before I installed Digital Performer and they assured me there would be no effect on my current setup. They were unbelievably wrong and they haven't answered my requests for help ever since.

>Did you try a system restore to before you installed the Digital Performer software?
    Yes, but it failed over and over 'cannot access a file.'

I will try uninstalling all audio drivers and installing the MOTU drivers but they should already be showing up under Playback Devices because they're there and they're working.

I got rid of all audio devices in Device Manager, Realtek, NVIDIA, MOTU, everything. Then installed the MOTU drivers. They did not show up in Sound or under Playback Devices but the system attempted to 'Resolve Problems' and installed the MOTU stuff (again).

That did it. Now all the INs and OUTs show up in the Sound dialog and the 'Analog Master OUTs 1-2' serve as the system sound device as well as my DAW outs.

>I'm not sure if anyone here has ever dealt with one of those.
    Thanks to Photolady for giving it a shot, it WAS off the beaten track and somewhat specialized.

You guys do a great job!

rev

Now might be a good time to make an image backup of this system.

Yeah, though I did that before and Restore kept failing.

Did you just create a Restore Point, or a full system image backup? If you created a full system image backup, what program did you use to do that? A Restore should not have failed.

Thread Information