Convergence - Win-10, Seamonkey, Google, and the UK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convergence - Win-10, Seamonkey, Google, and the UK

Convergence - Win-10, Seamonkey, Google, and the UK

I'm not sure where in this forum or where on the Web to post this. I just switched from an old XP machine to a new Win-10 machine, which I am gradually getting setup to my liking.

On the old XP machine, I had THREE Google links - Google-USA, Google-UK, and Google-AU (Australia). When I would go to Google-UK-Shopping and run searches, the would come back generally UK only sites and all prices were in £Pounds.

However, in Win-10, even though I am at Google-UK-Shopping, all links come back in the USA and all prices are in US$.

I suspect the problem is Google, though I don't know how to change it. I still have my old XP computer here and setup, and indeed, Google-UK searches are limited to the UK and are in Pounds Sterling (£).

Because everything is new, I'm not sure what the real problem is. I suspect someone (or something) is in the background trying to help me, but I wish they would stop because their 'help' is just screwing things up.

The same with the Google-AU site, it used to be limited to the AU, but now, essentially, all I get are USA sites.

So, I'm not sure what the real problem is - Win-10, Google, or the latest Seamonkey install.

I'm open to any advice anyone can give me. I have tried to browse though Google setting, but see nothing to control this.

Thought?

Steve/bluewizard

It appears to be a Google issue.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.techwyse.com/blog/search...-in-the-world/

I should mention that I am frequently on UK Audio Forums, and frequently need to look up products in the UK to reference in discussion responses. So, I need the UK to be the UK, the USA to be the USA, and AU to be Australia.

On occasion, someone from the EU will be on the UK forum, and I need to search Google-DE, or Google-DK, or Google-FR, and I need those searches to stay isolated to those countries.

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard

Just tried the /NCR and it doesn't seem to work.

/NCR seems to stand for "No Country Redirect".

Is there a chance this has something to do with Win-10 Geo-locate?

Also curious why Google does NOT do this with XP, but there is no way around it in Win-10? This can't all be Google, though likely a large part is, some of it has to be Win-10, because this does not happen in Win-XP.

Frustrating. The more they think they are trying to help, the more UN-helpful they become.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited by boyblue; August 25th, 2016 at 03:56 PM.

This should not have anything to do with Windows 10.

More links to check out:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...rent+countries

Clearly is does have something to do with Win-10. I have my old XP machine here and country searches work just fine. When I search google.co.uk, it searches the UK and returns results relevant to the UK.

But not so in Windows-10. My old computer used Win-XP and Seamonkey 2.35 (I think).

This problem has essentially rendered Google.co.(country) search useless to me. I probably did more searches in google.co.uk than in google.com (USA).

I used to work in Import/Export, I relied heavily on being able to search specific countries for vendors and shipping agents. As it stands now, if I were in that business, Google would be absolutely worthless to me.

Though I do thank you for your efforts on my behalf, but this clearly has something to do with Win-10. What ... I don't know ...but something.

Steve

The only way Windows 10 might be the problem is if you are using the Edge browser. If Windows 10 was blocking you from accessing a Google page using Chrome or Firefox, Google would be suing Microsoft right about now.

Well, here is something interesting, when I use Firefox, the results come back correctly, UK searches return UK results. But for some reason, not in Seamonkey.

That's ODD, because I'm doing it on XP with Seamoney 2.35.

Here is another complication, I went to Google.CO.AU and the search results were generally isolated to Australia.

In XP+Seamonky 2.35 I get UK results from a UK search.

In Win-10+Firefox 43.01 I get UK results from a UK search.

In Win-10+Seamonkey 2.40 I get USA results from a UK search.

I though perhaps it was using my default Search Engine in Seamonkey even though I specifically went to the google.co.uk website, so I added google.co.uk to my list of search engine, and made it my default search engine. I still get USA results from a UK search.

I don't mind using Firefox for searches, but I am baffled what is is about Seamonkey that is causing this.

I'm going to post on the Seamonkey forum on the MozzialZine website and see if anyone there has any thoughts.

If I discover anything, I will post it back here.

UPDATE: I tried a GOOGLE.DE (Germany) search it it returned German Sites. So the problem seem unique to GOOGLE.CO.UK

Here is the MozzilaZine link for what it might be worth -

Seamonkey - Google UK searches return USA results, but not AU

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=40&t=3020777

Very very ODD indeed.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited by boyblue; August 25th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

I'm having this problem again, I've searched Google for answer, but most are dated and no longer work. It was working fine after I cleared all my Google related cookies, but that doesn't seem to work any more.

I've heard there are some Apps or add-ons that can circumvent GeoLocation, but I'm not sure which is the best or the safest, nor am I sure they will do what I need done.

This has in effect rendered Google-Shopping useless for me.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Previously, I could use FireFox in Private Browsing mode and it would return the correct results, but that option no longer work. Whether I search UK or AU, I get USA results.

This happens whether I am signed in or not.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

Steve

Have you ever cleared the Temp files? I have seen that clear out the 7.6 MB which let the computer run right.
    I use TFC by old timer.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

There are a couple of about:config settings you could try:

1. Open Firefox
    2. Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter
    3. In the Search bar, type the desired option (Ex. geo.enabled)
    4. Double-click toggle TRUE/FALSE or enter the desired value

geo.enabled to false
    browser.search.geospecificdefaults to false

You can always go back and set them to true if it doesn't work.

In FireFox, I have it set to Private Browsing, so there shouldn't be any temp files.

Though that might work in SeaMonkey.

I did try Google Global which forces searches to be country specific, and it worked for a standard Web Search, but as soon as I switched to the same Shopping, it reverted back to all USA links.

Using a specialized Browser Engine (ISearchFrom.com), I can limit searches to specific countries, and when I switch to Shopping, it remains in that country. But I really don't see why this is so hard, neither do I see what advantage this is for Google. Why put such an absurd restriction on search capability? I think I know what I want far more than some Google robot does.

Ok. Doesn't looks like turning off geolocation works.

The only other thing I can think of is to spoof your location. Install the anonymox addon and set your location to UK.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...onymox/?src=ss

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    In FireFox, I have it set to Private Browsing, so there shouldn't be any temp files.
    With Windows , that thinking gets us into trouble. Learned the hard way!!!

Thread Information