Convergence - Win-10, Seamonkey, Google, and the UK - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convergence - Win-10, Seamonkey, Google, and the UK

In Private Browsing mode, Firefox will try to keep data in memory (RAM). When Firefox is closed, the RAM it used is flushed.

When RAM is needed for other tasks though, Windows pages data to the hard drive (virtual memory). Otherwise you'd run out of memory.

What and where any plugins might store data can be hard to nail down.

Flash content goes to the Windows "temp" folder. Firefox has no control over it in Private Browsing mode.

You could try turning off Location Services in Windows 10. I wouldn't count on this doing anything helpful though.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...ation+services

Win 10 Locations Services are all off. Doesn't help. The best I've found is to simply use - ISearchFrom.com -, it seems to work but each time you use it you have to select the country you want to search and the languaget. But it does work.

Given the people are building Apps and even Website to circumvents this sucky aspect of Google, that should send a message to Google that this was not a good idea.

I used to use Yahoo for searches, but the searches became so skewed by advertising as to become worthless. It seems Google is heading down that same path. I switched from Yahoo to Google because Google returned honest usable searches. If they stop doing that, then I really have no incentive to continue with Google. Yahoo make that mistake, they were the top search engine and viewed themselves as invincible, and they no one used them any more. It can and does happen.

If your location based Google searches are still working on your XP computer, then there has to be some setting on the Windows 10 computer related to Google that is causing your issue.

Have you tried a Google search using a UK based proxy server?

Have you tried a Google search using a UK based proxy server?
    As jdc2000 said, try a proxy. I mentioned Anonymox in post #14.

Disabling location services in FF didn't help, so I didn't think it would work for Win10 either.

I appreciate that this is probably how I'm going to have to do this, but is is MASSIVELY frustrating that I have to do so.

I was recently in contact with someone in Sweden, who wanted to at least search for products in the UK and Germany, but the results were forced back to Sweden every time. Except of course, the products he is searching for are not available in Sweden. The EU including Scandinavia are relatively small, what is happening there is the equivalent of me being in Minnesota and being blocked from searching for products in Iowa.

Further, this is an absolute failure of advertising. Here is someone who wants to buy products, but is completely block from access to the products he wants to buy. How is that good advertising.

I guess I posted here to be sure the problem was Google. But I've block Geo-Locating in my Browser and in Win-10, and that only leaves Google as he villain in this scenario.

So massively frustrating.

When I google for UK items, I type in UK and the item.
    Example:
    UK telephones
    And my results look like this.
    https://www.google.com/#q=UK+telephones

Angry

Run that search, then click the Shopping button and tell me if you still see products in the UK?

Further, I'm not shopping google.com, I am specifically shopping google.co.uk -

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping?hl=...ed=0EKkuCA0oDA

Explain to me why GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING is NOT returning results from the UK? Of course, I'm not deluded, you can't explain that because it makes no sense.

So, taking your suggestion one step farther, and searching specifically google.co.uk/shopping for "Yamaha AS501 UK" (stereo amp), here are the results I get -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...7KA&gws_rd=ssl

None of those products are from the UK, despite the website I searched being the UK and despite also indicating the UK geographic location of the products I want.

Other times I am specifically shopping google.de (Germany) because I need to locate sellers of specific products in Germany.

Or - google.com.au/shopping (Australia)

Or - google.dk/shopping (Denmark)

Or - google.co.nz/shopping (New Zealand)

I have search all these locations before, many times, looking for specific products and, local to the country I am search, sellers. That ability that has served me extremely well in my personal and professional life, is now gone. Thanks Google :P (NOT)
    Last edited by boyblue; November 8th, 2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: touch up

If you still want assistance with trying to correct this, we will need some additional information.

Did you try using a UK proxy server for running the search?

If the search works OK on your XP machine, and it works OK on the Windows 10 machine with some browsers, but not others, then it is a Google related browser issue.

Where can I find a FREE UK Proxy server?

Is there one source where I can select a Proxy from a list of countries. Most often I am in the UK, but as mentioned, I'm in other countries too.

Actually, I found a UK Proxy (uk-proxy.co.uk) where I typed the site I wanted to access (google.co.uk/shopping), then it redirects to that site from uk-proxy.co.uk, and the results returned were in POUNDS and in the UK.

Using the same Proxy, I searched DE (Germany) and got German results.

So, am I to conclude that this really is a problem with GOOGLE?

So, can I also conclude that, I have to find a similar proxy in every region I want to search?

Was that the information you were looking for?

This seems to be a solution, but it is frustrating that I even have to do this.

By the way, thank you and everyone for their help and comments.

Steve
    Last edited by boyblue; November 8th, 2016 at 10:46 PM.

So, searching with Google using a proxy server does return the results you are looking for using the browser that is affected with the issue.

If you can search for UK results using Google with other browsers and also get UK results, then your problem is with the affected browser on Google searches. If that is the case, you could try a complete removal of that browser and all of its user profile files and registry entries. This might require some manual search and removal of files on the hard drive and entries in the Registry, after you use something like Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.geekuninstaller.com/
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

What to you mean by - ...affected browser on Google Searches...?

If I search directly GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING I get USA results.

If I search the same site but routing it through UK-PROXY.CO.UK, it would seem that the problem is Google, not my Browser. By using UK-PROXY, I am giving Google false IP information, so it Geo-Locates to the UK where it assumes I am.

If I understand correctly, you think the problem is in my browser. I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand what you are saying and what it means.

Let me try another browser (I normally use SeaMonkey 2.40).

Firefox 49.0.2 -

Direct search of GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING for "Yamaha A-S501" -

Results come back from the USA.

Redirect to GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING through UK-PROXY.CO.UK -

Results come back from the UK and in Pounds Stirling.

Win-10 Edge -

Direct search of GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING for "Yamaha A-S501" -

Results come back from the USA.

Redirect to GOOGLE.CO.UK/SHOPPING through UK-PROXY.CO.UK -

Results come back from the UK and in Pounds Stirling.

Thank you for taking the time to try and assist me.

I don't know if I said it before, but I deleted all the Google related Cookies from my Seamonkey browser. That worked once, but it didn't last long.

Steve

Thread Information