I have questions

Thread: I have questions

I have questions

I recently purchased an Amazon Fire 7, even though I admit I am totally ignorant on the subject (It was just too cheap to pass up). I have managed to navigate around the device, and download apps, connect to my e:mail account and the like, but I am wondering about the security of this tablet. On my PC's, I routinely turn on my firewall and set up spyware and virus protection. Is this not the case with tablets? I don't have a smartphone and I'm not familiar with the operating system of this device. How secure are they? Are there steps I should be taking to protect my information? I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Not sure how many of these you have already seen:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...ecurity+issues

There are a few issues that might be a concern, depending on what you are doing with it. The Silk browser may not be the best. You may want to use something else to access your e-mail. You should be able to encrypt the device though.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Malwarebytes has a mobile version. It's installed on my Android tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Not sure how many of these you have already seen:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...ecurity+issues

There are a few issues that might be a concern, depending on what you are doing with it. The Silk browser may not be the best. You may want to use something else to access your e-mail. You should be able to encrypt the device though.
    Seems as though many of the articles I have come across caution against using non-Amazon apps, including a different browser, claiming their use may cause more problems than they're worth.. I did find an AVG app and a the Malwarebytes anti-spyware app (which used up 13% of my batteries life when I first ran it)...Also ran across this website and wonder what you might think of it.

http://dmediamom.com/2013/07/12/kind...-dont-need-it/

That article is now fairly old, and it also assumes that you never do anything with your device that could expose you to malware - not a reasonable assumption these days.

July 12, 2013
    Fairly well out of date at that.

Thread Information