Failure for IE to connect “due to long-running scripts”

Thread: Failure for IE to connect “due to long-running scripts”

Failure for IE to connect “due to long-running scripts”

Help please to resolve a continuing connection problem with IE (and other browsers too)on a W10 desktop.

Symptoms:
    After calling for a URL through my Bookmarks bar I find I get the first page of the requested site but then have to wait from 5 to 30 seconds before the site becomes active. In that interim I cannot scroll the site or work it in any way. After that period the connection works ok but is somewhat unstable, frequently dropping out again and requiring another 5 to 30 seconds to resume.
    • The “dead time” varies with the URL. FWIW, washingtonpost.com takes 5 sec.; NY Times takes 30 sec.

• The responsiveness of my email (yahoo.com) is very poor. I frequently have to wait up to 30 sec. Before Yahoo becomes operational.

• When using the keyboard to type (using Yahoo mai) l I find that the keyboard frequently freezes for periods up to about 10 to 15 seconds before it unfreezes.

• Often I get error messages during the downtime like “nytimes.com is not responding due to a long-running script.”

FWIW: I get these same kind of problems when I try Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Prior Actions:
    I have checked for viruses, adware, etc. and, with the help of an expert (on a different user forum), I have used a bunch of malware tools (including Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, Junkware Removal, etc.) to clean out junk. These actions have not eliminated the problem.

FWIW, I have seen a two year old discussion of “non-responding because of a long-running script” issues on an MS User Forum. Apparently many people have had it; but I did not find any solution.

Can anyone suggest additional things I might do? – I wonder:
    • Is there a setting in W10 or IE internet options which may be causing this “script-related” fault??

?
    • Might all the troubles be because my system has just slowed so much that the full pages are taking up to 30 seconds to load?

I'd welcome your suggestions. Thanks. ...bkar

Washington post take 11 seconds
    Of coarse my cache is empty. First time I have visited the site.

Poorly written website concidering all the js., and stuff.
    See the attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wasshington post, second time, about 6 seconds.
    Validator HTML
    192 errors
    https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=htt...tonpost.com%2F

CSS Validator 111 errors
    https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...rning=&lang=en

Yahoo, I refuse even to look at that mess.

So, I can see why your browsers do not want to work right.
    Darn poorly done website for sure.

Train: Thanks for looking into my problem. Several questions (from a not very tech sophisticated user):

1. What is it I am supposed to see/learn in the pi-chart you attached?
    2. Please explain what the WaPo analysis showing “192 errors” means.
    3. Same re the “CSS validation.”
    4. Are you saying that my problems are caused by the sites themselves, as “poorly designed?”
    --- Surely the millions of readers of the NYTimes and WaPo are not seeing the problems I am. And even I only developed these problems in the last couple of weeks. ??
    5. Do those error messsages I frequently get re “long-running scripts” suggest anything I should be doing?
    6. FWIW – Virtual Dr seems to be the most responsive of all the URLs I have tried. Is that just my imagine, or the result of a good site design?

Thanks. … Bkar

VDR has real good site design!

The bad site that the post is for real is pita.
    Pie chart - That shows the percentage that the various scripts/graphics take to download.

Plus I think your real problem is from the adservers which uBlock Origin is blocking for me. 11 to be exact.

Analysis
    The HTML , JavaScript[.js] and css tells the browser how to put the webpage together so we can see it. Need less to say, errors in writing of them means the browser can not read the instructions correctly and we even can get some real weird errors.

If you wish to get a idea of what the code looks like, here is the place I use for reference. Given that it is overly simplified.
    http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

Do those error messsages I frequently get re “long-running scripts” suggest anything I should be doing?
    After a tad of testing , uBlock Origin is block that problem for me.

Train: I just returned home from a week away from the internet and will be responding shortly to your last suggestions. Thanks. ... bkar

I just returned home from a week away from the internet
    Done that many, many a time.

Train: After reporting my problems to the NYTimes tech desk I just got this response and I will now be trying to follow up on their suggestions (not that easy for me). I will be reporting back to you as things progress.

Re their suggestion not to use a bookmark or shortcut does that make sense to you? HOW am I supposed to call that URL up each time, by typing the whole URL?
    Thanks for your continuing help. ….. bkar

From NYTimes: Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any inconveniences. We have found that the following troubleshooting steps will usually resolve problems such as the one that you are experiencing. We recommend not using a bookmark, homepage or shortcut to access NYTimes.com. This is because the bookmark is 'Time Stamped' for a specific time and date in the past. When you use the bookmark your browser searches for that specific time stamped information. Due to NYTimes.com being updated every 15 minutes, your browser struggles to locate the information and does not include all of the updated information, which appears as missing pieces or forces you to logout, etc. Please make sure your browser is fully updated, as well as any plugins. If the problem persists, please try using a different internet browser to see if the problem is isolated to a browser. Clearing your internet cache and browser cookies after removing any bookmarks, home pages, etc. associated with www.nytimes.com should correct the issues that you have reported. Please also ensure that your browser is accepting cookies. AFTER completing the above steps, please clear your Internet cache and browser cookies and close completely out of all browser windows.

That looks like a generic response that does not even contain accurate information. If your bookmark is simply http://www.nytimes.com then there is no time stamp associated with that address at all. My experience with the New York Times web site is the same as Train's - it is loaded with tons of junk that is not needed and just slows things down.

You mentioned Firefox and Chrome, but are you using an adblocker on any of your browsers? Train mentioned uBlock Origin, which is available on both FF and Chrome. I highly recommend you give it a try.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...ublock-origin/
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en

jdc2000, Train, MidKnyte: I previously reported that the trouble I was experiencing-- the long time it took (up to 45 seconds) before a called-for URL became fully active – happened with all my browsers, not just with IE. After having to be away from my PC for a time and then living with the problem for a week or so, I now find that that report – if it was ever accurate – is now wrong. At least for right now, the problem does not occur when I am on Chrome. So I have switched and have stopped fussing about the long delay and those frequent “Url is not responding because of a long-running script” error messages that often appeared. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem does not recur.

Thank you all for trying to help me. …. bkar

I would still recommend that you install an adblocker. Most of the script issues I've seen lately were caused by ads.

Midknyte: Thanks. I <wil> add an Ad blocker.

1. Is there a way I can tell whether or not I already have one? What are some of the names I should look for in the listing of my apps?

2. Assumig I do not already have an Ad blocker, can you suggest a good one one I should download? Preferably a free one. For sure from a download site that won't infest me with apps I don't want; I have a srong feeling that all my problems started when a download site "gave me" free apps and changed my settings (my home page, my bookmarks, etc.)

...bkar

1. It depends on the browser.
    For Chrome, you'd look in Menu button > More Tools > Extensions. Or just type chrome://extensions/ in the addresbar
    For Firefox, you'd look in Tools > Add-ons > Extensions. Or type about:addons in the addressbar

2. I already suggested uBlock Origin in post #10. It's free. You'd download them from the Chrome or Firefox Extension site.

Thread Information