Dear computer experts,

I'm on a 10 year old Dell XPS 400 desktop running Windows XP. I have not had major errors or problems with it for a while, probably since 2014, and would like to solve this issue to at least use it long enough to transfer my music files to CD. I understand that it will need to be replaced soon. Luckily, I also have a tablet for internet access.

After coming back from a week vacation, my computer started showing blue screen of death error messages, many times, and sometimes with slightly different messages. I can and have used it for short periods at a time, up to a few hours. After being on the computer for a while, it displays the BSOD and I have to manually power down after that. Sometimes the computer cannot be started up manually, usually the first button press after an error, and the other times (2nd try etc) it starts up ok but after loading the home screen, or after a few minutes online, the BSOD appears again. I recently chose some of the options from the F8 screen like Last Good Configuration and System Restore to see if they gave it more time, and I have gotten more screen time, but the error messages eventually pop up again.they haven't solved it. I have no idea if this problem is related to spyware or malware, or just some old computer tricks have to be performed...

The BSOD have included the STOP: 0x000....numbers as well as lines on the top like BAD_POOL_HEADER_ and [RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I tried running the mrt Microsoft removal scan tool, but the computer shut down in the middle of my full scan. I have AVG which has detected and removed a trojan horse in the past 2 days, and some Win32 stuff in July. I have Ad-Aware and Spybot, which I haven't done manual scans recently, but have used plenty in the past. Most recent scans done with them came up with no problems to remove or repair. I don't download Windows monthly updates anymore, I haven't done so for at least a year, but possibly longer, since the last time I did, doing so changed the order/layout of some of my file folders, and I don't want them reordered. Sometime between the Apr 2014 XP support drop and 1 year ago I stopped doing those updates.

Please let me know how I can use the computer without BSOD interruption for a little longer! I did back up my documents and pictures on a flash drive, so I'm prepared for the worst, but hope with your guidance there is something that can be done. What steps can I take to fix this issue, if any?

Look forward to finding out more when you have the chance.
Jennifer