Windows 10 just tried to force an update, even though I disabled that long ago

Thread: Windows 10 just tried to force an update, even though I disabled that long ago

Windows 10 just tried to force an update, even though I disabled that long ago

Please, let's not get into a fight about if I should/could/would leave automatic updates on. I prefer to update manually on my own terms, and many times I have something running that could need to run for several days at a time.

Anyway, so, I have Windows 10 Pro, and I disabled updates to it in two of the big ways recommended, by going into the group policy editor and disabling them there, and by editing the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" and setting the "AUOptions" key to 1 (Never check for updates).

And it worked for several months, while it used to nag me about every 2-3 days for updates before, it has been going for several months now without nagging me and letting me do the updates whenever I want.

But today, it suddenly tried to force them on me again. I came home to a full-screen popup that insisted I HAVE to install updates with the only option being to click accept. I assume this has something to do with the anniversary update, but I can't be sure. Has this happened to anyone else who disabled automatic updates? Or does anyone have any idea why it tried to do this and how to stop it?
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

InfoWorld > How to temporarily block the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 upgrade - by Woody Leonhard

Win10 Pro and Enterprise: Use the Defer updates option under Windows Update/Advanced Options. That typically puts off nonsecurity updates for about four weeks.

All versions: Set the Metered connection option under Network & Internet/Wi-Fi/Advanced options. Keep in mind, however, that this option is designed for wireless setups, it will delay security updates, and it can cause Internet-connected apps to not work properly.

Thread Information