File:\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD Error Code: 0xc0000185

Thread: File:\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD Error Code: 0xc0000185

File:\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD Error Code: 0xc0000185

My granddaughter brought over her Asus laptop for me to try to fix... It keeps rebooting on its own with the error msg shown in the title of this post.
    I have Hiram's Boot CD and thought that might help, but I cannot get it to boot from the CD.
    When I get the blue screen with the title error I can hit ESC and go to the UEFI setting, but no matter what I try, nothing changes.
    She said she has Windows 8 (which I have never used) and I've looked up lots of information on how to make it work but had no luck.
    Can one of you fabulous Gurus, who have saved my butt so many times in the past, help me fix this thing??
    Thanks a bunch!!
    ~ Ree ~
    May God bless all our valiant troops
    Wherever they may roam
    And bless us too, their families,
    Waiting anxiously at home...

I think you mean Hiren, not Hiram. I don't recommend that disc because it has/had illegal/unlicensed software on it. I use UBCD. Link is in my signature.

If the laptop using UEFI, that probably prevents Hiren's or other diag discs from booting. Try changing to MBR for now. You can change it back to UEFI after your run diags.

Something messed up the boot files, but I would run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics. You didn't say what brand of HD the laptop has, so you'd have to find that out first.

Yes, you are right, I meant Hiren. lol That is the only rescue disc I knew of. I will definitely try yours instead!
    Her laptop is Asus brand, running Windows 8. (I don't know if it's just 8 or 8.1 and doubt if she does either.)
    I'm wondering if perhaps her CD drive is not working so was trying to use Hirens from a USB. It flashes so I know it's working, but it's not booting from it, just gives me a message saying to put in the source I want to boot from and reboot or press any key etc etc - No matter what I press it just repeats that message on a black screen. Rebooting brings me back to the blue screen with the original error message.

Please tell me, can I save the program from your link onto a USB instead of burning it to a CD? Will it work that way?

I would gladly run the mfg's diagnostics if I could get to them but so far no luck. Is there a magical key that will open it?

What is MBR and how do I change it? In BIOS the only boot options it gives me are WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER (PO: HGST HTS545050A7E680) or Disabled. I found a place to Add a boot option path but have no idea what to put for her USB.

I am SO lost.. lol
    Wherever they may roam

On the page you gave me for that Ultimate Boot program I found a link for instructions to put it on a USB stick instead of a CD, but there's just ONE problem...
    The instructions say: To create a bootable UBCD memory stick, at the command prompt, type:

cd \ubcd-extracted\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb
    ubcd2usb c:\ubcd-extracted x:

My question is, WHAT command prompt??? I know where I extracted the downloaded file, and I formatted the memory stick, but what do I do now??
    Wherever they may roam

Please, someone come and help me with this crap...

I'm going to try to include a picture of what is on the memory stick. Please tell me if I'm supposed to extract something from one of the folders onto the main part of the memory stick or ?????

usb.jpg

If I boot up her Asus with the USB plugged in, then I can go into Bios and set it to boot from USB first. If it's not plugged in, then I don't have that option. But when I tell it to boot from the USB, I see the USB flashing but still get a black screen telling me to plug it in and reboot or press any key.
    If I press a key, the msg repeats. If I reboot I either get the same msg or the blue screen with the original error. I'm going in circles and getting nowhere.

Does anyone know how to fix this??
    Wherever they may roam

How to open a Command Prompt from Windows 8 or 10:

http://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-...n-windows-8.1/

Once there, the 'cd' command changes to the directory where you have extracted the download file(s), so replace the '\ubcd-extracted\' in that command with the path to your extracted file(s). Then enter the second command, replacing the 'c:\ubcd-extracted' with the folder where the extracted files are located, and the x: with the driver letter for your formatted USB drive.

I thought at first that I should get a cmd prompt at some point but then decided maybe I was supposed to open one to transfer files to the usb. I'm using Win7 on my computer. I opened the command prompt and replaced what they had with the location where I'd extracted the file and copied the command exactly. The first line was accepted but when I put in the second line (replacing their x with the letter for my usb) it didn't accept it. Tried a few times then, not knowing what else to try, I just extracted the original zip file to the usb directly.

That's the point I'm at now, and you see the results (or lack thereof) from my previous posts.

Can you tell me what I need to do next?
    Wherever they may roam

If it helps any, the actual message on the blue screen when it starts (without the usb stick plugged in) says:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
    The boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD
    Error Code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media, (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings
    Wherever they may roam

Still trying...

In the bios stuff I found the model number for the hard drive, looked it up, and see that it is a Travelstar Z5K500 HGST.
    From their web site I found diagnostic programs to be downloaded and run, but of course I cannot download them onto her laptop.
    I downloaded one and unzipped it to the memory stick, reset the laptop to boot from usb first, and rebooted it.
    Same blue screen error message...
    I really am trying here, Folks. I just need some help from someone who knows what to do, because I sure don't..
    Wherever they may roam

What happened when you tried to create a bootable USB flash drive from the UBCD files and instructions?

I never said anything about command prompt in my instructions. You'd use Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. Did you read post#2?

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide
    First, you need to download the UBCD5.iso file (Post #1)
    Second, you write the UBCD5.iso file to the flash drive with Rufus (Post#2)
    Third, you'd run the hard drive diags (Post #4)

For Hitachi drives, you can either try the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test or Western Digital Datalifeguard tools. Hitachi was bought out by Western Digital, but I'm not sure if your drive is included in the WD diags or not. If neither work, try Seagate Seatools.

Your link took me to that post with the download link and I didn't read beyond that post, just followed the link. The instructions for the cmd prompt were from the UBCD site for putting it on a memory stick. No wonder I couldn't get it to work. lol Thank you so much for showing me where I went wrong! I will download Rufus and follow the rest of your instructions in your posts. Please keep your fingers crossed that I can make it work this time, and thank you again!!
    Wherever they may roam

Thread Information