MBP Time machine - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MBP Time machine

Should not, but you have to jumper the power supply to turn it on.

Won't that much power supply fry the HDDs since it won't be powering up a motherboard together with the HDDs anymore?
    The power lines going to the HD would only provide the 12v/5v lines for the hard drive (plus 3.3v for SATA). It's not going to fry anything.

I've read mobos regulate how much power HDDs get.
    Nope, that's wrong. How is the motherboard going to regulate HD power if they are plugged directly into the PSU? Show me the link you read.

Train- yes, I saw the paperclip thing for the green-black wire to jump it. In any case, I'm not really doing it, I just wanted to understand how it worked and file it in my head for emergency purposes.

Midknyte- I can't find the page anymore, I was clicking link after link... perhaps "controls power supply" was referring to the PSU actually turning on rather than regulate.

Thanks again, learned a lot from this thread.

Train, two quick tangent questions on backups (since this is a thread on TM):

a. I was given a flash drive with an image (dmg/iso) of an OS X upgrade installer. I want to keep a copy of the installer for future use, do I simply copy paste the content to my external hard drive without using any program to "burn" it? I've been searching online and answers only seem to address how to copy an image from hard drive to bootable usb/disc.

b. when imaging a drive (using Super Duper) that can be restorable should an OS upgrade installation go wrong, does that require imaging the entire physical HDD or it's possible to image only one of 2 allocated drives in the HDD which actually contains data (2nd half has zero data)?

Thanks!

You have to use a program as there are things on the stick that are hidden that allow the stick to be bootable.
    Now if you browse the stick and select setup (or what ever Mac calls it) then YES, I would try the copy / paste method of backing up.

Daughter used my wireless to upgrade her MAC laptop, at that time mine was faster than hers.

Thanks, Train.

Sorry for the questions coming in trickles-- I was looking for solutions for the crowding of usb plugs as my laptop can only handle 2 at a time. I didn't realize such a thing existed:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Por...words=usb+dock

Instead of buying an HDD enclosure with its own power supply, if I get only a SATA to USB cable for my internal HDD, can this gadget above be enough to power it so I can use it as a spare external drive for my laptop?

You want something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-...b+powered+hubs

Computer USB ports combined, only have 500 mA of power. That is enough to run a laptop hdd, but not a desktop hdd.
    This hub has enough power to run 4 laptop hdds at a time.

So, as you have desktop hdds mostly the powered external case is what you need.

Ah, so I still go with the external case. Got it. Thanks again, Train.

You are Welcome.

Thread Information