[RESOLVED] Security Updates

Thread: [RESOLVED] Security Updates

Resolved [RESOLVED] Security Updates

I've recently 'upgraded' from an old system running Windows XP to a not quite so old system running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit. I installed W7 from disk. Things are up and running, and I'm ironing out the wrinkles. This could lead to a whole series of postings. I'll try to deal with one item at a time.

Belarc tells me that I have 149 Security updates needed. That's a pretty big bunch. I'm sure there are many among those which I should have. The updates I'm most interested in are the "critical" ones. I have significantly less interest in the rest.

How do I selectively download and install only those critical updates? My system keeps telling me that I have updates ready to install, but I'm sure those include many which Microsoft wants me to have rather than those I want and need. How do I do this selectively?

I have Never10 installed, since I do not want W10, so, theoretically, I'm safe on that count. The question remains, though, How do I download only those updates marked as critical?

Windows Update categorizes software updates based on the update's importance. There are three categories for updates: important, recommended, and optional.

Important updates. Important updates help keep your computer more secure and reliable, protecting your computer and your privacy. These updates include security and critical updates, as well as reliability improvements.

Recommended updates. Recommended updates help keep your software up to date and your computer running at its best. If you selected Use recommended settings when you set up Windows Update, then recommended updates will be shown together with important updates. If you selected Install important updates only, recommended updates will be shown together with optional updates. Recommended updates include software updates and new or improved features.

Optional updates. Optional updates include updates and software that you can install manually, such as new or trial Microsoft software or optional device drivers from Microsoft partners.

4breezes--
    How have you set up Windows Update ?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...gs-change.html

I use "Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

And under Recommended updates, you can choose or not the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" or "Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me."

With the "Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" setting, run Windows Update (click "Check for Updates" on first screen.
    Now you can see what WU suggests. Optional updates will be reported separately.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Remember that if you have Windows 7 or 8/8.1, and you have selected "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates", you will be "updated" to Windows 10.

Make sure to install IE11 first. Otherwise, you'll have to reinstall the IE updates afterwards.

You could also use Autopatcher to download the patches and install them.

http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

After you download and extract Autopatcher:

Run AutoPatcher.exe
    Check "I agree..." and click Next (AutoPatcher EULA)
    Check "I agree..." and click Next (Microsoft EULA)

Click Download Updates
    Check the desired version/s of Windows [Ex. AutoPatcher for Windows 7 SP1 (x86)]
    Click Next
    Wait for updates to download
    Click Install Updates
    The List of available items will appear
    *Critical Updates are selected by default
    Choose the desired updates and click Next
    Wait for updates to install
    Click Finish
    Click Reboot Now (or wait 30 seconds for auto-reboot)

Worked like a charm. I thank you all for your help.

It took a pretty fair while to download and install all those security updates, but I finally was finished late yesterday.

I'll start a new thread soon looking for help on the next problem.

Thread Information