Freezed a lot recently

Thread: Freezed a lot recently

Freezed a lot recently

What is the best way to read the Event Viewer to diagnose/pinpoint a freeze issue? For a while, it occasionally would only freeze upon waking from sleep. Now, for the first time, I have noticed it starts to freeze after reboot as well.

No new hardware has been added. Only software updates. Within the first 1 minute, if it doesn't freeze, then everything is "A" OK. Freezing only upon waking up, and now boot up as well.

Windows 7 64 bit and system encrypted
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Did you run any hardware diagnostics yet? I always start with a hard drive diag and a memtest before messing with the software.

If you don't have UBCD5 yet, go to the link in my signature.

To check Event Viewer, just go through the logs and look for any services that failed to start or other issues with red icons on them.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 (from scratch) and it is still freezing with the above symptoms.

Midknyte, I took your advice and did a memory test with UBCD (btw... Pretty cool). I am at 55% of the test and no errors so far.

Can UBCD diagnose encrypted hard drives and solid state drives?

Like always, thanks Midknyte and JDC2000!
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 19th, 2016 at 08:22 PM.

Can UBCD diagnose encrypted hard drives and solid state drives?
    Encrypted, yes. It's not scanning the data; it's checking the physical condition of the drive.

SSD, no. You can use CrystalDiskInfo to check the general SSD condition, but it would be best to run the manufacturer's SSD tools. Unfortunately, most are not bootable, so you'd have to run them from Windows. It would be best to slave the SSD into another system; diags over USB may or may not work.
    https://www.pcsteps.com/2530-predict...tal-disk-info/

Thanks for the link midknyte.

What else should I check for this random freezing problem? Graphic card, cpu? I doubt it would be any of the hard drives because they are unplugged. Only two SSDs are plugged in at all time. No raid.

I would be watching tv through my capture device. All the sudden, you hear the sound as the tv died. I would lose mouse and keyboard movements 30 seconds before the cape device stops working. That is because the capture device buffers up to 1 minute.

Also memory test passed 1 time with no errors. How many times should I let it run?

Each time it passed, that means it tested all 6 modules right, not 1? In other words, do I have to let it pass 6 times?

What else should I check for this random freezing problem? Graphic card, cpu?
    Heatsinks and fans for sure. Check the motherboard for bad caps. You might also want to swap out the PSU.

I usually run at 2 or 3 passes of Memtest. It tests the memory as a whole, not individually.

Is the problem only occuring with your capture device? Maybe that's the problem.

Here is the result of the Memory Test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4r67kuk83...920_055721.jpg

If I was to buy a new PSU, what specs should I be looking for? Single Rails? What does that mean? Gold Certified?

It is probably not the capture device because I have unplugged the USB and the crashes still happened.

I just restored an image with Acronis and whenever I do the restoration, the freeze minimizes until a couple weeks down the road. So, this may not be a hardware failure but a software driver failure? What do you think?

As in the other thread you are also helping too, it also freeze on a clean install of Windows 10. One common driver is the NVidia latest driver.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; September 20th, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Gold certified refers to PSU efficiency
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

I'm pretty sure the majority of PSUs are single 12v rail, unless you are getting something huge like a 1000W.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

Did you look in Event Viewer for errors?

What are you using to encrypt the drives? Maybe that is causing the freezing?

One common driver is the NVidia latest driver.
    Maybe to new for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Gold certified refers to PSU efficiency
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

I'm pretty sure the majority of PSUs are single 12v rail, unless you are getting something huge like a 1000W.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990
    Thank You. Good info.

Did you look in Event Viewer for errors?
    I did but have no idea with some of the error code even after I google them.

What are you using to encrypt the drives? Maybe that is causing the freezing?
    This might be but may not be? First, when I did a clean install of Windows 10, I did not encrypt the system drive. It still crashed. I still had to decrypt all of the other drives. However, if it is the program that is failing, it would fail right now but it is not after I restored an image.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Maybe to new for the card.
    That is what I am thinking too.

So here is what I noticed. After a restoration of an Acronis image, the computer does not freeze. After a restoration of an Acronis image, I also install a number of latest drivers and software each time, including video driver.

After the restoration of the image this time, I have not install the latest video driver and half of the software to narrow down which one. So far, it has not freeze but usually the freeze starts two weeks after the restoration of my Windows 7 image. Windows 10 clean install would freeze right away and I could only think it is the NVidia driver.

Sorry for the rambling as I am typing.

Well, you just need to eliminate the possible culprits. Keep track of the apps you are installing.

Thread Information